cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre so slow

Dazzat
Dabbler

Fibre so slow

So I've tried restarting router and all the usual things plusnet recommend and still my fibre is so slow, I'm paying for 78meg if I'm lucky I'll reach 30meg off peak and during peak times I reach 5-10meg max , while my upload is always at 20meg. Although I fully understand I won't reach 78meg as you never do but reaching 5meg during peak hours is an absolute joke.
8 REPLIES 8
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Fibre so slow

Hi Dazzat,
I've just taken a look at your connection and the speeds between your Cabinet and Modem are at a full 80/20, the speeds entering your property look to be absolutely fine. DLM hasn't ouched your line either so you're not being restricted from that point of view either.
Can you advise what speeds you get when running a Speed Test via an Ethernet Cable?
Dazzat
Dabbler

Hi , I just done Speed test using Ethernet cable And comes up 33meg using bt speed test and wireless it's around 12 meg tonight, wherever in the house I go with any device (iPhone,laptop,pc,xbox one all pick up wireless around 12 meg if I'm lucky during peak hours. Out of peak speeds are fine at around 75meg and upload is always around 20.
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Another thing you may want to check is for an update to your ethernet adapter or wireless device i had an issue like this a couple of nights ago updating the drivers fixed this for me.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As well as what jamesanstee has advised, what speeds do you get by doing a direct PPPoE connection?
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
Dazzat
Dabbler

72meg and same from plusnet router via ethernet.  the issue seems to be with poor wireless signal from the plusnet router? seems to be the only logical reason? does not matter whereabouts in my house i am with my iphone , laptop , ipad xbox one, pc , sky+ adapter  nothing seems to pick up anything above mid twentys  if i am lucky during peak hours for example: i do a speed test on my pc it shoots up to 68 meg and slowly drops off to 15 for the average speed,   off peak and my mobile devices max out at 38 which i believe is the device maximum  and pc and laptop etc all reach 70s,  what is the acceptable drop in speed during peak hours?        This may well be false what i have read on a forum somewhere but is the plusnet router the only fibre optic router which is single band?
Each evening my speeds vary so much, one night i get 5 next its 20 and so on.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Have you tried to change your wireless channel?
Dazzat
Dabbler

yep tried every channel, still very slow during peak times :S
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If/when this happens again, can you please run the BT Speedtester at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com including 'Further Diagnostics'?