cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre setup - cabling question

BRABUS
Grafter

Fibre setup - cabling question

Sorry if this is an easy question for you but I can't find an explanation anywhere and I dont want to make assumptions.
My inlaws are still thinking about fibre and as this means having a fibre modem and a seperate router I am trying to work out what goes where.  From reading the Plus Net pages I know that a new master socket is installed with 2 outlets, one for phone and one for broadband.  My inlaws master socket is in the hallway but there is no power near to it.  I see that BT will extend cables, but does this mean moving the whole master socket or can they just extend where the wire goes so that the fibre modem can be put near a plug socket in a different room and still leave the phoen in the hall?
33 REPLIES 33
houlton23
Grafter

Re: Fibre setup - cabling question

'Officially', the Openreach engineers are only supposed to use the 'Data Extension Kit' to extend the distance from the master socket to the modem.
However, the engineer who installed our FTTC was more than happy to use our internal wiring to turn one of our extension sockets into our master and then turn the old master into a new extension for us.
Alex Smiley
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

When Mr BT fitted mine ,, nice engineer,, tea & bikkis ,, he fitted me a New master socket  Wink on other side of my house .
a new cable from the junction box outside my house all round the outside and through i Hole i had previously drilled where i needed the socket  Wink  just ask nicely
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
BRABUS
Grafter

I am the king of tea, biccies and asking nicely  Grin
Has anyone got any pictures of or links to details about the 2 pieces of kit that get installed?
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/netgear-WNR1000-setup-guide.shtml this is PN setup page, i have the same router netgear , but not sure if they still using that one
my BT box is screwd to the wall where the next to the master socket , and the Netgear router is on my desk next to it  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
BRABUS
Grafter

Their problem is that they would still want their phone in the hallway and their router upstairs next to the computer.  Mother-in-law doesnt want "an ugly white box in screwed to the wall in her hallway"Cheesy
Is there a way that they can keep the master socket in the hall then and put both the modem and router upstairs?  It just looks like an RJ11 that comes from the master socket to the modem?  If they had a longer RJ11 cable would this have a detrimental effect on the speed ?
Ronski
Rising Star

It is fairly straightforward to wire your own extension if BT won't do it the way you need it  The lower section of the faceplate comes off (the one with the two sockets in), in the back of this are terminals you connect CAT5E network cable to, then run this to where you need the modem socket, as there are 4 pairs of wires in the cable you can also run a telephone extension to where the cable goes if need be. At the other end you just use the appropriate sockets to terminate the cable. There are guides on the net or I can give you more details/links if you need them.
BRABUS
Grafter

I can do the wiring no problem but as I don't live local to them if you could post those links it would be great then father-in-law can do it if the BT chap isn't feeling helpful Smiley

thanks
Ronski
Rising Star

Here's a link http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,103283.msg878200.html#msg878200 to a post I've previously written about this, there's some links to guides and a website where you can order the parts if need be. The new NTE5 will be supplied by BT when they do the install, if you run the CAT5 cable before BT come the engineer may even connect it up if you ask nicely.

Here's another couple of guides, read both parts http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm & http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/extensions.htm
Where the guides mention ADSL, it applies equally to FTTC, which is just VDSL, another flavour of ADSL.
Hope they help
BRABUS
Grafter

Cheers Ronski.  That was really helpful.  I will get father-in-law to order the rj11 & bt socket extension thingy and an ethernet lead from Clarity and see if the nice BT man will help him out  and do the appropriate snipping and connecting Wink

Your article mentions using certain colours but that was to do with using the RJ 45 into a patch panel.  If it is going to have the rj45 plug cut off and just the cable used in the boxes at each end I suppose it doesnt matter which pair we use for adsl or phone does it?
Ronski
Rising Star

No it doesn't really matter what colour pairs you use, as long as it the same pairs each end 😉
You can use this cable internally http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16192&cat=255&page=1
You don't need plugs on the cable, and it needs to be solid core, which the stuff I linked to should be. If it's multi strand which you may find in an off the shelf network cable with plugs on it won't make a secure connection as the wire is pressed in, and ideally you should get a krone tool if doing it yourself.
Edit: If your buying a long length of Cat5 cable you may find it cheaper elsewhere. Such as here http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CACAT5Eslash50.html , I've used Clarity & TLC many a time.
BRABUS
Grafter

Ronski sorry its me again asking stupid questions.  I am still trying to get my head around this.

• BT will install a new face plate thing where the master socket is.

• I will have already run a solid core cat 5e cable from the office (spare room) to the master socket.

• one pair needs to be connected to the ADSL part of the new master socket

• The ADSL pair needs to be connect to what at the other end in the office - is it an RJ11 or RJ45 socket.  I have read a few articles on the net now and both are quoted.

• another pair from the master socket in the cat 5e will be connected to a BT type socket in the office

I have had a look at this extension kit and it gives the option of an RJ11 & BT Socket  or also an RJ45 & BT Socket.

Which is the better one to use?  I know an RJ11 will fit into an RJ45 socket but will it be loose?  I just don't want to order the wrong thing.
Ronski
Rising Star

All your statements above are correct, in regard to which type socket to use, I've always used the RJ45 as that is what Clarity recommended (better quality I think) when I started doing mine, and have continued to use that type since.
Might have another friends to do soon, he's only getting 12mb and should be getting more like 18 considering how close he is to the exchange.
BRABUS
Grafter

Hey Ronski how about doing your friends very soon and taking lots more detailed shots of how and where you connect each wire Smiley  I think with FTTC becoming mroe common it could be a sticky topic that PN use.
Ronski
Rising Star

I keep meaning to pull mine apart and take some photo's, something I need to do before my FTTC install on the 20th, as I want the engineer to move the master socket to my server room, and just put a blanking plate over the one in the hallway. I'll try and find time over the weekend to take some photos and upload them, ultimately I'd like to create a web page I can link to from other forums and also have some PN referral links on it, and hopefully in the process create some referrals 🙂 to decrease my now increased costs.