Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre profile needs changing?

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Fibre profile needs changing?

Oh great news Smiley Sorry I wasn't able to do the same, but really glad it's getting sorted for you.
moogaloo
Dabbler

Quote from: chrispurvey
Hi Chris, sorry for the delay, I've placed a modify order to mvoe you onto the correct product and also responded your ticket.
You'll see the increase on Monday.
Let me know how you get on.
Chris

Not very well, upload speed has increased to 16 meg, but download has remained on 36 meg, I connected directly to the router to make sure it was not a wireless issue 😞
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi moogaloo,
I've just made a further adjustment on your account so please try again as soon as you can and let us know how it goes.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
moogaloo
Dabbler

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Hi moogaloo,
I've just made a further adjustment on your account so please try again as soon as you can and let us know how it goes.
Adam

I asked my wife to run a speed test as I am not  at home and got this, I can try resetting and doing a direct connection tonight to be sure
mozster
Dabbler

Quote from: chrispurvey
We've picked that up and we'll be in-touch soon.

The BT Openreach engineer came yesterday and changed the location of my master socket, the original installer hadn't checked that the socket he installed to was coming off some dodgy wiring... but the new guy did an excellent job and now I'm getting 61/16 - pleased as punch now...
Thanks Chris Smiley
moogaloo
Dabbler

I now get the correct speed if directly connected to the router with a UTP cable, however testing through wireless I am still struggling. 
So I tested with 2 newish laptops.  One laptop running an Intel  6300 AGN adaptor can get full speed when next to the adaptor with a connection speed of 120 mbs to the router, but drops to 65  -75 Mbs 10 meters away and gets a speed in the 40Mps through speed test.
The other laptop running a broadcom 802.11n adaptor connects to the router at 65mps whether next to the router or 10 meters away and scores a speed test in the high 30s.
Running a wifi analyser on my mobile phone I am only competing with one other network and that is away from my wifi channel.
Is the technicolor router upto the job now you are offereing 80/20 fibre?  Is the router faulty or is there something I need to change in the settings to get higher connections
pengbo
Grafter

@moogaloo it never mattered before because we didn't have broadband throughput high enough to push routers and wifi to their limits.  Now we do.  You sure your laptop with the broadcom can handle the pure data throughput?  I had a vigor 2910 router and it limited things to 27Mbps so it had to go.  After reading the net it became apparent that not all network kit is created equal and with fibre you need to have something that can handle the speeds.
moogaloo
Dabbler

Quote from: pengbo
@moogaloo it never mattered before because we didn't have broadband throughput high enough to push routers and wifi to their limits.  Now we do.  You sure your laptop with the broadcom can handle the pure data throughput?  I had a vigor 2910 router and it limited things to 27Mbps so it had to go.  After reading the net it became apparent that not all network kit is created equal and with fibre you need to have something that can handle the speeds.

Maybe not, but nothing in my house manages to get full speed, not my wife's macbook pro, my work laptop, my laptop, an ipad or a galaxy note.  my works laptop got full speed next to the router, but any distance away and it quickly drops of
snailspace171
Grafter

I'm just the same.
If I test on a computer that is hard wired to my router, I get a connection speed that is in excess of 60mb.
However, on my wireless devices, the maximum ive been abe to obtain is 35mb.
I think that is just the nature of wifi. it cannot compete with an ethernet conncetion.
you could try switching channel, see if that makes any difference maybe? but other than buying a new router, there isn't a great deal else!
Capvermell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: spraxyt
Yes there is, or was - I think that bug has been fixed for new orders. Plusnet should be working through accounts affected to get them onto the correct service but prompting here will help.

Unfortunately the bug in Plusnet's ordering systems that means that numerous customers who are currently joining them to get Fibre Unlimited (AKA Infinity 2 over at Plusnet's parent BT) because it is cheaper than with BT (especially after free connection and half price broadband line rental for 6 months plus TopCashback Cashback are also factored in on the broadband and phone product) are still having the wrong Fibre Essentiasl/Infinity 1 - 40/10 - broadband profile set by Plusnet's ordering system.  This is for an order for Fibre Unlimited that was only placed on the afternoon of Saturday 2nd February and installed by BT Openreach's engineer (contractor) here today (Monday 11th February).
It really isn't acceptable that this still hasn't been fixed by Plusnet who continue to try to pretend that this is only happening for some Fibre Unlimited customers whereas it is quite clearly obviously happening for all Fibre Unlimited customers but only the tech savvy ones are noticing and posting here about it.  I think there's actually a Sale of Goods Act which Plusnet are also contravening by selling the more expensive product and then only supplying the cheaper one unless a customer notices and complains.   And no doubt in due course if a customer doesn't spot the problem they will also get in to trouble when they get near the 40Gb Essentials download limit.
BT's speedtester at http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ shows Maximum Achievable Speeds of 38.72Mbps Down and 10.00Mbps Up compared to Actuals of 37.47 and 8.99.   Since the original BT estimate here was 37.2Mbps Down but only 6.1Mbps Up it seems obvious that the maximum Down speed is actually being constrained by hitting the Infinity 1/Essentials Profile maximum speed cap whereas the Up speed is not as the natural speed of the line is falling short of the upstream profile cap of the cheaper fibre product.  Hopefully when the Profile is changed to Fibre Unlimited/Infinity 2 the Downstream speed may increase to around 45Mbps+.
Also the engineer didn't arrive here till 5pm as it was getting dark and due to all the hassle with him transferring over the four other extensions off the master socket from the ADSL Nation Faceplate to the new BT Openreach one I completely forgot about the old outside wiring down from where the overhead copper wires hit the terminal block on the front of the house to where they come through the wooden living room window and hit the master socket.  To the best of my knowledge this five foot or so of wiring dates from 1959 even though the overhead wires have been replaced at least twice due to tree falls and van strikes and/or as part of BT's overhead copper renewal progrram.  Was I within my rights to have requested that the old copper wire from the terminal block point on the front of the house to the master socket be renewed by BT's engineer or will BT Openreach only do this if the customer's actual broadband speed falls well below their original estimate?  As the exchange only went live for fibre here at the end of November and the first installs were in early December BT currently has very little real world speed history so has set extremely conservative estimates that will presumably eventually rise over time as more and more lines convert to FTTC and they get better real world speed data on this exchange.  The Openreach guy was actually a contractor who BT had engaged when the waiting list for orders on the exchange hit 3 weeks in the third week of January at which point it suddenly fell to only 1 week in about two days.  The engineer seemed a nice enough guy but apparently the previous job this afternoon was a complete nightmare that had taken nearly three hours and he clearly wanted to get off home ASAP as it was nearly 6pm by the time he had got the faceplate fitted.
I should add that the user name for this new line is not the same as my longstanding forum name but if a Plusnet staff member PM's me I can tell them what the phone number in question is.