Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre problems

mawdle
Dabbler

Fibre problems

Hello.
I hope someone can help me with my speed problem.
I joined Plusnet Unlimited Fibre at the beginning of February 2013 with my line achieving 73 Mb from day one. The line is stable and will stay connected to gateways for weeks.
However, at the beginning of March web pages were slow and generally laggy. A speed test (speedtest.net) showed the usual 73 Mb had dropped to 63 Mb and latency has raised from 10 to 18ms.
After changing gateways with no improvement I left everything for a week just in case it was a blip. Plusnet members area was showing 78 Mb at this time.
Now, for two months it has not returned to the previous 15 months speed. After doing checks my side with no change, the last option was a router and modem shut down for over 12 hours with correct reconnection. The modem was unplugged first, so giving the 'Dying Gasp' message, Speedtest.net now shows speed has increased slightly to 66 Mb with latency still around 10-18ms depending on server.
With Bt Wholesale Speed test, further diagnostics shows Max Achievable Speed 68.57 Mbps. Plusnet members area now shows connection speed as 68.4 Mb.
Could DLM/Interleaving be causing this and if so, why has it not returned for two months to the prevous 73 Mb I've had since joining.
Is it possible you can check and tell me what my DLM profile reports.
Something else I've noticed, my speed now drops every evening as low as 12 Mb after seven o'clock and Saturdays have become a bit of a joke. I know my exchange had congestion problems some weeks ago but these were meant to be fixed by a capacity upgrade.
What has happened.
As yet I have not raised a fault ticket.
Thanks.
25 REPLIES 25
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre problems

Hi there,
You're on a 70mb profile at present so that doesn't seem to be entirely representative of the problem you've mentioned.
If I were you I'd hold fire for now and perhaps consider raising a fault if the speeds drop even further.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

it could be that as others have taken up FTTC that you've become subject to some cross talk, I'm pretty sure that's happened to my line as when I was the only person on the cab I was getting 72mb but now dropped to around 65 as others have take it. darn them.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Just to add to what dvorak mentions this is something we're having to advise a few visitors to these forums of late but as I said in my last reply do keep an eye on things in case of a more distinct drop in speeds.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mawdle
Dabbler

My speed has dropped again to 64mb. I will wait a little longer, but before I raise a fault could you please see if any DLM has been applied to my profile. Would be good to know if that was affecting the speed or not. It doesn't make sense the line was 73 Mb for so long and then the next day drops to 63 Mb with higher latency.
Also as dvorak posted, I accept that fibre take up since I joined must have slowed the speed, but would this not happen over a period of time and not in one day.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

as others have taken up FTTC that you've become subject to some cross talk

That's what I was constantly being told as over a 15 months period my speed dropped from 42 Mbs to the mid 30s & even lower. Eventually I asked for a DLM reset which didn't seem to make a difference. However, after conducting the reset the BT engineer kindly popped round to check on the reset & as it hadn't made any difference he proceeded to change both my master socket & modem. I'm now getting 45 Mbs, my best ever speed!
Therefore, I strongly recommend that you remain politely insistent if you're still not happy with your speeds. Wink
mawdle
Dabbler

I guess it could be something like the modem, who knows, no way to tell really is there. I did however do a PPPoE connection a few weeks back, but this showed no change in speed, so not a router problem.
I really would like to know what DLM is doing with my profile. If it has been applied in any way, then I would wait for it (if ever) to remove itself.
Unfortunately, until I'm told if it has been applied and at what level, I don't want to raise it as a fault. If it has not changed then the only option would be to raise a ticket in the future.
From what I've read on this forum and others, DLM can take from 2 days to 3 months before upping the speed again.
mawdle
Dabbler

Please could Chris or Adam post what DLM is doing on my profile.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi mawdle, The sync rate is just over 70mb and the profile is set just below that at 68.4mb to reflect that.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mawdle
Dabbler

Thanks for that Adam.
I can see the profile on PlusNet side in the members area is at 68.4mb, but is there any DLM change from what it was before the speed dropped.
Can you see if there are any problems showing on my line.
Thanks.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Your line is looking fine and appears to be syncing where we would expect.
mawdle
Dabbler

Hi Chris.
If no problems are showing your side, and I take it that also means no DLM or interleaving, then I will keep checking if it drops anymore. If it does, then as Adam advised I will consider raising a fault.
I know the 64mb I'm now getting is still a great speed, but it's more about why it's dropped when the line used to sync with the profile higher.
As I wrote in a post earlier, I accept speeds will go down with higher take up of fibre which we are told causes crosstalk and congestion, I get that. What I find hard to accept is not the speed slowing down because of these over time, but a 10mb speed drop in one day and no definitive reason why.
If you firmly believe from looking at my line stats that everything is fine and that it's probably down to crosstalk, then vectoring seems the only solution for speeds to go back up, whenever that might be.

Thanks.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mawdle,
I'll explain what I think has happened.
I think that your line was syncing at a higher rate, but for one reason or another, some form of interference on your line has caused Interleaving to be applied. Sometimes, if your line can't handle staying stable due to excessive errors, your sync rate will drop, for stability purposes. I can see, looking at your line, that there are still a few errors, not many at all, and not enough to cause any problems at the moment, Interleaving seems to be doing it's job.
If, for any reason, the errors clear up, whether it's Crosstalk or REIN somewhere between the Cabinet and your property, Interleaving will be removed by DLM and your sync speeds may increase if DLM feels that your line can handle faster speeds.
mawdle
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
You mention REIN and I don't know how far you can go back to look for errors, but around the end of February through to early March there were some kind of electrical problems around this area which was causing the lights to flicker briefly in the evening around 6pm. I'm curious if this could have triggered something in the cabinet which I understand is also powered.
Also, the few errors you can see, could I have inadvertently caused any of these by powering off the modem (although it was off for over 12 hours) or by doing a disconnect/reconnect of the router (left for 20 minutes) to change the gateway.
Thanks again.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
The only thing that can cause continuous errors, will be something that's affecting your line as opposed to switching your modem/router on/off. It could be anything that's causing the errors, it's quite difficult to track down.
I know an Openreach Engineer who's got a REIN Issue, the REIN Team has been out quite a few times, as well as the OR Engineer looking to trace the issue but they've been unable to trace the location of where the interference originates. The engineer has got Interleaving on 'High' on their line and it works flawlessly now - although he'd have preferred faster speeds, it's case that he can't and has accepted that.
Luckily, the majority of lines aren't quite that bad Smiley
The power going off may have caused errors originally, but I wouldn't imagine that it'd have given the line a long lasting issues, unless it has made some electrical equipment faulty in the process that is located near your line.