Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre logistics

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Fibre logistics

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi Strat
Many thanks for the picture  Smiley  however that is surely the RJ45 type not the RJ11 6 pin one which AFAIK I should be changing over my current BT plug (RJ45 like) ones I have now, as per Axemurderers advice???  Wink
Apprentice
Grafter

Routefinder
Grafter

@ Apprentice ~ many thanks for the added input Smiley
Having had a good gander at various sources as I understand it (was going to dig out an old unused RJ11 modem cable) the modem RJ11 uses more properly called 6P4C plugs i.e. 6 pin/4 connections.  But the modem wiring only uses the 2 central pins 3 & 4 (I did say I was going to find and old 'supplied' one to look at and disassemble Wink ) so the question is:-  does the FTTC modem use this original type RJ11 wiring or does it require the further wires connected???
FWIW I think when I connected the BT plugs I am using now I did only connect 2 wires but these were connected to the 2 outer pins 2 & 5
TIA for the added insight and that I have understood the wiring correctly  Wink Smiley
dragon2611
Grafter

Not sure if it helps but Over a short run of Cat5e it's possible to use a set of passive POE injector/splitters to remotely power the modem, at least with the Huawei one it is.
The router can be upto 100M away from the modem providing you have a long enough Cat5e/Cat6 cable (I actually suspect you could get away with over 100M but that would be outside the Specs)
Routefinder
Grafter

Just some thinking out loud  Smiley
I have measured the diameter of the telephone UTP cable in use now and it is 5mm, now CAT6 is 6.5mm but CAT5e is 5.25mm so without making the holes in ceiling & floor bigger it should be possible to pull through a CAT5e.  The route is not direct i.e. a couple of low radius turns so all should be well as the current cable "pulls" without snagging or strain .  Now I might do that sooner rather than later and wire it up to either RJ11 or BT plugs in the meantime until the FTTC service arrives Smiley  By doing this bit of pre planning there should be no headaches and stroppy OR engineer to cope with on the day when it arrives  Cool ............................all I will need to is cut off the RJ11 (or BT plugs) and strip/crimp on the RJ45's
Oh, as I understand it CAT5e is good for Gigabit speeds so will not be an impediment to the Fibre speeds from the modem to the Router  Grin
Edit - it is this Maplin one I found http://www.maplin.co.uk/cat-5e-network-cable-utp-stranded-13230 that OK???
AxeMurderer
Grafter

@Routefinder
If you stick with your existing modem cable, you only need two wires connected in your RJ11/6P4C. If you decide to pull through an ethernet cable that Maplin one will be fine.