Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre install

BenJSmyth
Grafter

Fibre install

Hello!
I'm hoping someone can answer a question for me.
We have our fibre service being installed on Wednesday. Our master BT socket is next to our front door in the hall which is completely inappropriate for the modem and router. On the order I requested the extension kit.
We want to have the socket extended into the living room so the equipment can live in the TV cabinet out of the way. To do this the extension needs to run through our internal living room door. Will the BT engineer drill a hole above the door to allow the cable to be fed through/ We don't really want the cable running under the door as it'll prevent the door closing. Also, will the extension affect the speed we get?
Thanks!
Ben
8 REPLIES 8
smhartley
Grafter

Re: Fibre install

The engineer that fitted mine made a cable that was long enough to reach to where we wanted it to go to but left it for us to fix in place. He wouldn't have lifted carpets or anything like that. We did tell him that we would fix it in place though as we are going to decorate shortly. If you want it to go through the door frame I think you would be best to drill the hole ready for the engineer coming. Or at least have  your drill ready to quickly do it after discussing the options with the engineer.
HTH  Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@BenJSmyth
I'm sure if you offer the engineer a cuppa and maybe a biscuit or two they'd happily do that for you. Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BenJSmyth
Grafter

A cuppa and a few biscuits are always offered to tradesman in our house so I shall definitely be doing that.
Does the extension kit affect the speed I'll get on the fibre service? I'm quoted an estimated 64mb.
smhartley
Grafter

Quote from: BenJSmyth
A cuppa and a few biscuits are always offered to tradesman in our house so I shall definitely be doing that.

And in ours  Smiley
As for the extension affecting the speed, now that the area-wide speed problem seems to have been fixed, I am getting what speed was estimated and my extension is approx 30ft long  Shocked
HTH
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

The speed loss is down the BT copper  wire from the cabinet to your home. Your Cat 5 or 6 ethernet cable won't lose any noticeable speed.
BenJSmyth
Grafter

Thanks for the reply guys. I feel better about the whole thing now and feel prepared for tomorrow  Smiley
TerFar
Dabbler

We had a similar setup with the BT Master inside the front door where there were no convenient power points for the Fibre Modem or the Wireless Router. So the Master socket has to be relocated. This will mean extending the the copper pair coming into the house (currently at the back of your existing BT Master) to the new location. The cable is relatively thin and will easily route to your new location. We actually drilled a thin hole through the skirting into the lounge and ran the new cable to the required location.
Remember that you need 2 power sockets available for the installation, one each for the BT modem and the router. And don't forget that your house phone will need to plug into the new location of the BT Master too. So if you have a DECT phone with a Master station, that too will need its power socket.
The additional loss will be negligible. With Fibre to the Cabinet broadband, speed loss only occurs over the copper pair from your BT Master back to the roadside cabinet where the Fibre terminates. The additional run from the front door to your hi-fi cabinet will only add a fraction to the total length of the copper.
BenJSmyth
Grafter

Quote from: TerFar
We had a similar setup with the BT Master inside the front door where there were no convenient power points for the Fibre Modem or the Wireless Router. So the Master socket has to be relocated. This will mean extending the the copper pair coming into the house (currently at the back of your existing BT Master) to the new location. The cable is relatively thin and will easily route to your new location. We actually drilled a thin hole through the skirting into the lounge and ran the new cable to the required location.
Remember that you need 2 power sockets available for the installation, one each for the BT modem and the router. And don't forget that your house phone will need to plug into the new location of the BT Master too. So if you have a DECT phone with a Master station, that too will need its power socket.
The additional loss will be negligible. With Fibre to the Cabinet broadband, speed loss only occurs over the copper pair from your BT Master back to the roadside cabinet where the Fibre terminates. The additional run from the front door to your hi-fi cabinet will only add a fraction to the total length of the copper.

Thank you for that - that has made the whole process make so much more sense. The extension I want them to run too is behind our TV unit in the living, where there is a secondary BT socket anyway. My presumption was they would fit an extension cable then replace the faceplate on the secondary socket behind the TV. Either way, it seems to a much less painful process than I was expecting.
I'm new to Plus Net and this forum but the replies I've had have been so helpful - which is not always the case on forums!