Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre install; slower than expected?

RyanGould
Grafter

Fibre install; slower than expected?

Hello,
I've recently had your fibre service installed, I am happy with the service but thee speeds are lower than I expected. I was under the impression that I would get around 40Mbs download and 10 upload. Instead I am getting around 21Mbs down and 1.5 up, which are rather low for fibre IMO.
Can someone look into this for me?
Thank you
4 REPLIES 4
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Fibre install; slower than expected?

Please note that Plusnet's Fibre is 40/2, not 40/10 so your upload is about right.
I'm pretty sure you can still sign up for the 80/20 trial free of charge until the official launch.
How long since installation?  Has the Plusnet profile been updated since install?  https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Do you know what the Checker estimated your FTTC speeds would be? https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/Broadband_Community/Coverage/ADSL_Availibility_Ch...
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@RyanGould
How do you connect to the router wired or wireless?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi RyanGould,

It's probably worth doing some speed tests while directly connected to the modem as this will rule out any issues with the router. There are instructions on how to do this for Windows XP here and Windows Vista/Windows 7 here
Jojo Smiley
lorisarvendu
Grafter

When I got fibre in January this year I noticed I was only getting about 20Mbps download speed. I assumed this was training, but after 5 days it was still the same.
Then someone pointed out it was probably my Homeplugs throttling.  Sure enough I connected a laptop directly to the router and Whoosh! 32Mbps.
And you'd think working in IT I would have figured out to do that first!
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.