cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre install - positive review

Yadda
Grafter

Fibre install - positive review

Background: I've been with Plusnet for years and recently decided to switch from CN21/ADSL2 to a fibre package. I signed up for the Unlimited Fibre package and an engineer was booked for an afternoon visit on the 8 May (today). The Plusnet supplied TG582n router arrived a few days later, about a week before the scheduled engineer visit.
Installation day: The engineer telephoned late morning to say he was ahead of schedule and asked if it was ok to get started as he was up the road, ready to go by my cabinet (or wherever it is that they do whatever they do). I told him to go ahead and he said my line would be down while he carried out the necessary work. About 10 minutes later he called back to say he was done (apparently I'm the first fibre connection in my "box") and he was on his way to the house to install my new vDSL modem and get me connected on the new fibre service.
He was very thorough, a good engineer and a good bloke. When he arrived, he inspected the line coming into the house and the old master socket. We decided to re-locate the new master socket about 3-4 meters away on an adjacent wall for ease of access and improved access to power sockets. The new socket was installed neatly and the new cabling was routed tidily and before long everything was plugged-in and set-up. Once the router was connected, a laptop patched into the router showed that I was online and the new connection was working.  Cool Speedtest.net shows my speed as ~45 down and ~9 up but I understand that this will most likely improve over the next 10 day "training" period as my new connection settles in.
I'm very happy with the way things have gone - from ~12/0.8 on ADSL2 to a ~45/9 fibre connection smoothly and without any hassle. Thanks for a great product and fantastic service - keep up the good work!
6 REPLIES 6
amcclean
Rising Star

Re: Fibre install - positive review

I would like to add my positive fttc install experience to this thread as well. As fttc as speeds are nowhere near  the top speed of the router I have found the pn one OK. I have set it up to act as my media server too which has saved me the expense of buying one. Overall great install.
Thanks pn.
Podman
Yadda
Grafter

Out of interest, Podman, what were your speeds when your FTTC was first installed and how does it compare to your current speed? Looking around at other people's initial speeds, mine seem quite slow (although I'm certainly not complaining - seeing a download rate of 3.5-4MB/s is very nice in comparison to my previous connection).
amcclean
Rising Star

my current speed is hovering around 33mb down and 8 - 11 ish up. Pn members centre has line speed of 76.2 listed so not sure what to think getting differing stories about speed increases firm forums and different pn staff. 
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Yadda
I'm glad to hear you're pleased with how the install went, hoping mine (due next week) goes as well! Smiley
@podman
Assuming that's resolved re http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114711.msg988607.html#msg988607 let me know if you need any more support with that though.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Yadda
Grafter

How did your install go, Adam?
Things are still good here and I've even managed to connect my printer to the router, allowing me to print from anywhere on the network - a nice bonus feature of the new router (582n) which I wasn't expecting.  Cheesy
Additionally, I live in a very old house with  very thick walls and before I switched to fibre I was worried that the new router's wireless performance would be a let-down (the user "reviews" weren't exactly glowing in this respect) but I needn't have worried. OK, it may not be up there with the more powerful wifi routers but the 582n does a damn good job, giving me stronger wireless performance throughout the house than my old router did.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

It went fine cheers for asking Yadda,
It's not reached the estimated 77mb downstream (16mb upstream is fine) it was hovering around 40mb (I connect my PC and Xbox via powerline adapters) for the first few days, now it's reached 55mb and seems I'm happy it seems to be improving.
Either way it's a vast improvement on the 13/14mb I had previously Smiley
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team