cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre install due today AM. Can I call BT to confirm?

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Fibre install due today AM. Can I call BT to confirm?

I've just booked that in through our suppliers. I'll keep an eye on the progress of this very closely to ensure there aren't any further issues.
danyulo
Grafter

Thanks Chris
What is the timing of the PM slot on Saturday?
2Senile
Grafter

Greetings & slutations danyulo, may be in a somewhat similar position to yourself. This is the first time I have had an issue with transfering/upgrading. I'm actually shocked that, from my reading of several forum threads, there are such issues these days. This is not the era of 1440/28.8/56k dialup .... in fact it is a different Century!
Anyway, bear with me as I attempt to provide my understanding/ASS-umptions/ignorance.  Wink
As a current Sky subscriber I could have chosen to upgrade to their Fibre offering & an engineer would not need access to my property. I'd just need to plug-in/connect the pre-configured Modem Router. An engineer is needed to do work in the Cab.
A slight issue arises due to the variable quality of Microfilters; some have not been configured correctly for the UK while others have even been configured with a ring wire connected. It could affect the experience. An engineer (I wonder how many are certified/qualified members of The Institute of Chartered Engineers?) visiting your property & fitting a new pre-filtered Master socket should ensure you get the best your line is capable of. ........ disregarding issues that may arise/exist in the outside world.
For examples of good & not so good filtering options . http://www.domesday1986.com/support/filters.php
They should really call "it" ADSL3 btw. As far as we & our wiring/equipement is concerned the service(s) are still over copper pair ..... just faster.
As Chris has already stated, your pre-filtered faceplate should not be an issue. I've used the ADSLnation NTE5 faceplate for years. It might even exceed the spec' of the latest BT standard. The only thing that @##@@#es off BT is if you mess around with what is behind the master socket.. The BT NTE5 was actually designed to allow end users to easily add their own extensions etc.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: danyulo
Thanks Chris
What is the timing of the PM slot on Saturday?

It's 1pm-6pm.
danyulo
Grafter

Thank you very much 2Senile for the advice.
Looking at my faceplate, I think it is a standard BT one, just without the BT logo.  I also have one from ADSL Nation, but somewhere in the distant past think i found that the BT one produced slightly better results.

Thank you Chris.  I will be in 1300 to 1800 then
danyul
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Great. That's all been confirmed with Openreach.
danyulo
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
I've been in-touch with our suppliers and it seems the engineer is not attending, really sorry for this. We received no notification as the fault was stuck on their system.

Hello Chris,
Can I ask what action can be taken to ensure that an engineer actually does visit, and that new information about your suppliers plans does not get delayed in a system somewhere?
Thanks
danyul
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi danyul,
There's nothing we can do more than speak to our suppliers and have them ensure that an engineer has been assigned for the workstack for the date that we've selected, which is Saturday.
We know it won't be delayed due to a system issue this time, as we've ensured that it's been manually progressed on our suppliers side of things.
danyulo
Grafter

Understood Chris.  I am glad that there is a manual workaround in place for this particular transaction.
danyulo
Grafter

Hello PN staff,
Your suppliers called on Saturday as planned, thanks for arranging that.
The engineer investigated and concluded that there was a "fibre port fault" which he could not resolved.  The fault was passed on to another team (although the engineer was unable to identify the name of the team).  He did not know how long it would take to fix the fault.
Please could you advise this morning:
1. What the status of the fault is now.
2. How long it will take you to provide the service.

Thanks
danyul
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Good morning, danyul.
Thanks for letting us know how the engineers visit went. I'm just having a chat with our suppliers now - I'll let you know as soon as I have an update for you.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've had an update from our suppliers for you.
The engineer that came out on Saturday, as you were correctly advise, located a faulty port at the Cabinet. Unfortunately the engineer was unable to put you onto a different port as there weren't any others available. I have been advised that an engineer has been tasked to repair the faulty port today. I'll keep an eye on things throughout today and I'll let you know if I get any further information as soon as I get it.
danyulo
Grafter

Thanks very much Chris.
danyulo
Grafter

Hello PN staff,
Please could you update me on the status of this fault and let me know what progress has been made today?  I have arrived home and the status appears to be unchanged.  All lights on except the broadband light, which is dark.  I have recycled both devices and also attempted manual login.
Thanks
danyul
adamcookeuk
Grafter

Your patience here danyulo is that of a saint. It's nice to see that PN have offered you a good will gesture but that's little comfort when you can't be getting on with work or using the internet for days.
Depending on Openreach/BT is always a horrible place to be!