cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre install due today AM. Can I call BT to confirm?

danyulo
Grafter

Re: Fibre install due today AM. Can I call BT to confirm?

thanks dvorak
The last entry in my log now reads
SNTP unable to contact server x.x.1.7
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hmm, looks as though your line isn't in sync.
Assuming everything is connected up correctly, I think we're going to need a further engineer. Any ideas when you could be available for a visit?
danyulo
Grafter

Thanks Chris,
If that is the case, that is really inconvenient.  It is extremely difficult for me to arrange to work at home.  Today's engineer visit was agreed with me over 2 weeks in advance, it being the first date in my diary where forces colluded in order to make out of office working possible.
I have just spent time on the phone to your support desk, who asked my to connect a PC directly to the BT modem and create an internet connection in order to test the BT element of the service.  After repeated attempts, I get the same error (code 651)
What I need to establish now is which of these two options will restore a working service quickest:
1. Pursue fibre service fault resolution
2. Roll back to ADSL service (for which I still have the ADSL modem)
Please advise
danyul
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm really sorry that this is the case, it's certainly not the way that I wanted things to go.
It's probably going to be quicker to get a fault engineer out to resolve the issue. If you can let me know when you may be able to get some time free, I'll do my best to arrange a visit around you.
danyulo
Grafter

Thanks Chris
First half day that looks possible is Monday 19th May AM.  However I am not happy to live without an internet service for that long )or pay for a BT wireless access service at a cost of £6 per day, which is what I have had to do today).  Therefore I will ask my wife if she can meet an engineer sooner than that and post back here tomorrow AM.
Thanks
danyul
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ok - a weekend appointment may be possible, if that helps?
Terranova667
Pro

Seems Engineers are told different things or maybe some choose to do more than others i dont know,  the engineer I had to install fibre for me set up and tested everything including installing the modem making sure that synced with the cab ok  made sure the router worked and had synced with the modem and plusnet, tested for line errors and that speed tests matched the sync before leaving, my line and service was up and running while he was there, i asked if this was standard procedure as other installs i had heard about only included installing the modem then leaving he said yeah this is how it should be done but agreed many don't.  Funnily enough he wasn't a OR engineer but one of the 3rd party ones I guess they care more, at least the one i had did.  
danyulo
Grafter

Thanks Chris
My wife will be in this Wednesday morning 14th May until 12:30.  Please can an engineer be booked for this Wed 14th AM? Note that there will be no knowledge of how to log into routers or do anything remotely technical available though!
Hi Terranova667 - Yes I don't doubt the varying quality of the engineers.  However to be fair to the one I met today, he was certain he had proved synchronisation with the local cabinet, and as there was no connection, did not have the opportunity to test anything further.  Clearly if time demonstrates that there is a sync problem he should have employed additional thought.
Chris - I have attempted to migrate to PN service three times.  The first was a disaster and I cancelled.  The second was problem free.  This is the third.  On the first occasion, the root cause of the issue, which was very similar in terms of symptoms, was a faulty router.  Is that ruled out in this case?
Thanks
danyul
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi danyul,
That's fine, I've got that booked in as you've requested. We'll get you a good will gesture sorted out once the engineer has been and resolved the issue for you.
danyulo
Grafter

That's great, thanks very much Chris
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Quote from: danyulo
...was a faulty router.  Is that ruled out in this case?

This was ruled out by not being able to create a connection with your PC directly plugged into the OR modem. If that had worked it would be a faulty router.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
danyulo
Grafter

Ah yes, good point thanks dvorak
danyulo
Grafter

Hello PN staff,
Please could you check that BT are still committed to attending my home address today AM to complete my failed FTTC installation?
User Id: reverendo
thanks
danyul
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

It's booked in for you, keep us updated on how you get on.
danyulo
Grafter

Thanks very much Chris