cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre estimates

Keystroke
Dabbler

Fibre estimates

Hay everyone, I signed up recently for fibre fttc from pn. I signed up for unlimited fibre at 75 down and 19 up. How accurate are these estimates? I'm really curious as I practically live from the pc because of my disabilities. Right now im stuck with 300kbs from my previous ISP. Any upgrade on that would leave me so happy. maybe im just a little cynical after my treatment from the other ISP but im wary to see such a high estimate.
3 REPLIES 3
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Fibre estimates

They're usually pretty accurate (within reason) but there's always the chance of problems, Plusnet are not too bad at pursuing speed problems on FTTC, as long as you're not far from your cabinet and don't have really bad lines between there and your home you should be fine.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Keystroke
Dabbler

Quote from: w23
They're usually pretty accurate (within reason) but there's always the chance of problems, Plusnet are not too bad at pursuing speed problems on FTTC, as long as you're not far from your cabinet and don't have really bad lines between there and your home you should be fine.

Thanks thats what I had thought as well but because I didn't know to much about how it all works I thought it would be good to talk with other people who received the same service from plusnet.  From what I have seen there are two cabinets one on each street either side of me. At a rough estimate at closest there around 200m and at furthest 400m that is of course above ground so it could vary largely under ground.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'm a good 400-450m and get a reliable 60Mb/s actual download speed if that helps.  My original estimate was about 62Mb/s.
The main problems crop up for the unfortunate few with aluminium lines (or, possibly worse, a mix of copper / aluminium), particularly over longer distances.  With a 75Mb/s estimate the odds are that you'd likely get close to the 80Mb/s maximum.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.