cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre download speed difference between neighbours

tontokowalski

Fibre download speed difference between neighbours

I've been connected to Plusnet Unlimited Fibre since Summer 2012,with a download speed consistently at the 45/47 Mb/s level.
My next door neighbour,a long time Plusnet customer consistently gets 64/65 Mb/s.Why such a difference?
We're even connected via the same telegraph pole! What's going on?
4 REPLIES 4
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Fibre download speed difference between neighbours

have you tried running this  http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and then further diagnostics it maybe that the BT Profile is set wrong, or it could simply be that the line to the pole for your neighbour is of better quality hard to say really, if there are no faults  i see no reason if you are both on the same phone pole and then the same fibre cab why he would have 20Mb or so more sync then you. 

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've checked the line over and I've not been able to detect a fault of any kind.
I think Terranova667 has hit the nail on the head with line quality. It's likely that your neighbour has a better quality drop wire. If yours is of a slightly lower quality, it could be causing the speeds to be reduced.
tontokowalski

When can I expect a visit from Openreach to install a new drop wire?
I'm not at home tonight,but I shall be at home on Friday morning.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you'd like this investigating, you'll need to raise a fault with us at http://faults.plus.net - I can't make any guarantees that an engineer will replace the drop wire, but we can certainly do our best to get this looked at in detail for you.