cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre broadband - when might it be available?

austinsom
Grafter

Fibre broadband - when might it be available?

Hi all,
Just a quick question!
I have been keeping an eye on SamKnows to see when my telephone exchange will be fibre enabled.  It is showing an RFS date of 01/09/2013, and I wondered if anyone at PN may have an idea when I might be able to either pre-order or have a live date?
The exchange is: STGILGM
Thank you  Smiley
11 REPLIES 11
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Fibre broadband - when might it be available?

Try entering your telephone number into PlusNet, or BT Wholesale's own availability checker.
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
austinsom
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestion  Smiley  I tried that and no info at all on fibre.  Was hoping that PN staff may have access to install/live dates not available to Joe public.
AndyH
Grafter

Still showing as Sep here (http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-fastfibreaccess/downloads/sffa_exchange_lists/coming_soon.pdf):
STGILGM GILLINGHAM (SOLENT) FTTC Sep-13 North Dorset District
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, a lack of information from the availability checker could also mean there is no newly installed fibre cabinet serving your street ready to go live at the same time as the exchange.....
I had to wait 18 months after my exchange went live, before the availability checkers provided any information about FTTC.  Shortly afterwards, Openreach then started work on installing a new FTTC cabinet, but due to various issues, it was a further 6 months before I was finally able to order fibre....
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
austinsom
Grafter

Ok thanks.  There is a lot of 'graffiti' on the road by the cabinet nearest to me, right by a telecoms service chamber.  It seems they are preparing to install a new cabinet.  I was hoping that someone from PlusNet would have some idea as to whether this date is now confirmed (they are more likely to be informed than a checker updated I would think) and when pre-ordering can, in theory, begin.  Seeing as no staff have come forward I would imagine they don't know.
I guess it's a waiting game. 
Thanks for your help.
st1967
Grafter

Fire off an e-mail to the following asking for details
nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk
You will probably have to wait a few weeks (seriously) for a reply, but the date they gave me was pretty spot on, but in my case the BT Checker site was showing me a date for FTTC.
Just out of interest the checker said end June, but the date given and when I ordered was mid May.
ajbrown1965
Grafter

I had to wait 18 months after the Openreach checker said my exchange was FTTC activated, and that was nearly 1 year after the original estimated date from OR. About 6 months after that information appeared so did a new cabinet in our road, and then another 12 months and the checker said I could get FTTC, so I did. It was worth the wait!
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

My experience was pretty much the same as everyone else's. The availability checker settled down about 6 months before the exchange went live (30 Sep 2012). PN started taking orders about 2 weeks prior to that. I was the first on my cabinet. The installation service from BT was absolutely first class.
To then go from download of <2 megs to >40 megs was a truly amazing experience; nearly as good as sex!! Cheesy
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Seeing as no staff have come forward I would imagine they don't know.

Absolutely correct Smiley there's no definitive answer as it depends on how soon the cabs are activated after the exchange and that doesn't carry any specific timescale.
Best to keep checking at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and just out of interest do let us know if you hear back from Openreach if you do drop them an email
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
austinsom
Grafter

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the responses and tips  Smiley  I sent an e-mail to Openreach, and received a very prompt response stating that the cabinet I am connected to is 'predicted to go live for orders in late November'.  I'd say that's a fairly good result, I think I can wait three months.  Ever more spray paint is appearing on the roads by the access hatches to the underground cables, so things should start soon  Cheesy
Stronghold
Dabbler

Keep checking...
I checked my street a month ago after the exchange near mine was upgraded but my exchange was not on the list to be upgraded but a few weeks ago I noticed a nice new green box appear almost over night at the end of my street and low and behold a quick check last night showed my exchange has now been enabled.. Yay so I will be placing my order to update over the coming weeks.
Only downside is reading that I will need a data extension kit and have it wired from my master socket around the house to my study where I keep my PC not to mention the amount of furniture I have to move lol no pain no gain I guess but fingers crossed It will be a painless process.
Stronghold