Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre being installed 31st August - I have a Q regarding the extension cabling

wrightgj
Grafter

Fibre being installed 31st August - I have a Q regarding the extension cabling

Hello all,
I have finally, now that all 5 members of our house use the ADSL, to upgrade to FTTC broadband.  Smiley
I think I'm set with everything except the fact that I need a new master socket plate and wiring.
The problem is the master socket is a long way from my modem/router and not in an acceptable location for connecting any PC equipment to. the way I see it, either the extension cable will need to run around the exterior of approximately half the house, or I need the master socket moved into the room where the modem/router lives.
Is it possible for the engineer to leave my current master socket as is, and just convert/replace the already present extension socket in my office? That way all I would need is the fibre cable straight from the modem into the wall socket 0.5 metres away, instead of being almost 30M away! would I lose any bandwidth from doing this?
thanks
Graham
15 REPLIES 15
BRABUS
Grafter

Re: Fibre being installed 31st August - I have a Q regarding the extension cabling

Plus Net can arrange an extension of your data cable upto 30 meters while the engineer is there for FREE.
If you are really having FTTC then you will not be getting any new wires or fibre to your property.  The signal is sent over the existing copper wires from your local green street cabinet.  BT will put a new face plate on your ,master socket and from that then cay then run a data extension for you to another room for your router.

Just shout if that didnt make sense as I have only been getting my head around this for a week or so now Smiley
wrightgj
Grafter

Re: Fibre being installed 31st August - I have a Q regarding the extension cabling

Hi,
Thanks yes that is how I understood it. The problem is that the extension would need to go outside etc and it would be much easier just to replace the faceplate on the extension in my office.
As you say it is just copper up to the point the new faceplate is installed, so I can't see an issue with replacing the extension with the new faceplate. I'm probably totally wrong though!
regards
graham
BRABUS
Grafter

BT are meant to charge a fee as a seperate job order to move your entire master socket - well thats what they told my folks.
Lots of tea/coffee biccies/cream cakes and if you get a nice Open Reach engineer you may be ok.

PN staff can probably clarify.
wrightgj
Grafter

Ah ok I see. I would have thought the engineer would prefer a 5 minute faceplate change over having to route 30M worth of cable around my house though!
dick:quote
BRABUS
Grafter

Raise a ticket so that you get a definative answer from the PN staff then take it from there?
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

What you are suggesting might be possible. It depends on the quality of the existing cable between your current master socket and your office extension. Whether the BT engineer would be prepared to do it though I'm not so sure as BT will be liable for the performance of the installation and as always with these things you don't know in advance quite how it will pan out.
If it has been done properly, your office extension should be connected to the current master socket with (at least) 'proper' 4-core phone cable with 2 twisted wire pairs. The phone will use 1 of these pairs and the other won't be used at present.
Normally the line coming in would go to the master where it would be split into the broadband and phone signals, and 2 'lines' would come out - 1 for broadband and 1 for any phone extensions. Each of these needs 1 pair of wires. The BT engineer will want to do this and to run a separate 'data' cable to the modem.
What COULD be done is to use one pair of the existing extension cable to extend the incoming line to your study, install the master there and use the other pair to carry the phone signal back to where the master originally was and install an extension socket there.
The amount of degradation would depend on the quality of the existing wiring. The extra length to the master socket wouldn't do much because the signal has already come a fair distance from the cabinet on similar cable. The main problem is that there would be crosstalk (interference) in the cable to the study and it's difficult to predict how bad that might be..
It would also be possible to put the new master where the existing one is and use the extension cable (2 pairs) to carry both broadband and phone to separate sockets at the study end. (This mightn't be so good as there would be more crosstalk after the filter.)
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

We can't give a definitive answer I'm afraid as we can't account for the engineers directly, however the option for the free data extension is "up to 30 metres" so that partially implies that they should be able to change the socket for you.
It's one of those things where it depends on the engineer and if they have the appropriate equipment/parts with them but as BRABUS put it if they're nice ply with them with tea and biscuits and that may help the situation Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BRABUS
Grafter

Adam by saying that you can't give a definitive answer you have in fact given a difinitive answer Smiley  We now know that you guys can not request this sort ofthing and as I suspected from my parents experience you have to raise a seperate order with BT or be nice to them......it worked for my parents when the engineer came Wink
James
Grafter

We would have to raise a separate request post activation, which would set you back in the region of £110 (!).
Cheaper alternative I normally suggest is to find a mate who's an electrician to move the socket for you. But sometimes engineers are nice and do it for free Smiley
BRABUS
Grafter

James
Grafter

Sensible starting point.
pnf
Grafter

Looks like you've got Extra Fibre in your broadband diet!
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

A nice start there BRABUS  Wink
when i had my fibre install i also needed to move my master socket ,from one side of the house to the other ,, nice mr BT after some nice Tea N bikkies and a chat rerouted my cable for me  Wink to a perfect position for my PC .
so i dint have to use any extension wires  Cheesy
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
BRABUS
Grafter

Quote from: rongtw
A nice start there BRABUS   Wink

Haha you don't get tea and bicuits like that from me (google image) , from me you get a mug slapped in one hand a pack of biccies in the other Smiley