cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre - bandwidth usage over charged?

Rustyme
Dabbler

Fibre - bandwidth usage over charged?

For the past few months I have been getting some very high bandwidth usage figures from my service resulting in over limit fees and I believe my usage is being incorrectly calculated so I wanted to hear from others experiences but first details on my case.
I have had a broadband service for many years at various companies so I am quite familiar with my bandwidth usage from the sites I visit and this seemed no different at plusnet at first on normal broadband and then initially with fibre optics but over the last few months this appears to have gone off the chart even though  my usage is much the same.
For example a live stream of around 1 hour will now use about 4 Gig of bandwidth and this not even in HD but fairly low quality.
Previously a stream from the same site would of been around 1 Gig at most.
Naturally I complained but got the brush off so I decided that maybe I was better off elsewhere and enquired if I needed a MAC key or I could just go through a switch site.
They asked why I wished to leave and I explained again about the excessive bandwidth usage.
They replied that they had looked into it again and indeed my bandwidth was being incorrectly calculated and they would investigate further and that I should stand by to hear the result of their investigation.
I replied that in such circumstances I would wait for the outcome and not change my ISP.
I heard nothing back so asked they give me a time-frame.
I heard nothing back again so tried once more.
This time they got back to me and said there was no problem with my broadband and how they were pleased to see I was now using my free usage in an attempt to avoid excessive usage charges (which by the way are excessive - £5 for 5 Gig) totally ignoring the fact they had admitted there was a problem.
Well of course I am using my free service period more but only because I have this problem with my bandwidth!
Thanks for patronising me though Plusnet.
I have not taken this up since then around a month again because I have had too much on and frankly it is simply obvious I am not going to get  a straight answer out of Plusnet.
I am loathed to change ISP because other than this very important issue the service has been excellent (including CS) with good speeds and reliability but if I have to micro manage my usage and avoid using the service because of this problem then ultimately I will have little choice but to change.
So, what are your experiences of fibre optic bandwidth usage?
Is it the same as your old broadband usage?
I only really need to hear from people who are moderate to high users and use live streaming.
What sort of bandwidth are you using for live streams? (not HD)
Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Fibre - bandwidth usage over charged?

If you are on Windows install NetWorX and monitor your usage.
From a default install you will need to change 7am to 8am to off-peak.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Would it be practical for you to try something like http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/ ?
[EDIT] jelv beat me to this part  Angry
Also most routers keep track of traffic in and out so you may also be able to check what your router says (particularly if using devices where bandwidth cannot be monitored).
Please remember that the usage is the sum of down and up traffic.
If you can monitor bandwidth usage from your end over a full day's chargeable period then this could assist in any dispute with PlusNet's (or any other ISP's) figures.
With FTTC it's not normally possible to access the modem stats though there are many who have accessed this with a simple firmware update (I provide this for information only as I don't know if it breaks Ts & Cs so cannot actually recommend doing this), it would be most informative to see if the modem and router report the same traffic volumes) http://huaweihg612hacking.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/hg612_unlock_instructions_v1-3.pdf I know it works, just don't ask how  Roll_eyes
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Another approach might be using something like the BBC iPlayer.  This allows you to either stream programmes or download them to view later.  You should consume much the same amount of bandwidth whichever you choose.  If that's not then at least you'll have some comparative figures to complain to Plusnet about. 
Rustyme
Dabbler

Thanks guys, I will try your suggestions and see if I can get to the bottom of this.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@Rustyme
Are any of the streams using P2P technology? (Sopcast etc). These can generate a huge amount of upstream traffic and on a few days this month your upload has been very high (over 5GB on a couple of occasions and over 10GB on another).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Oops!
The increase will be because you now have a lot faster upload.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
StuartUK35
Grafter

when i can get faster upload on my FTTC ?!  1.5mb isn't fast compared with alot of ADSL2+ products............
Heres my experience for bandwith usage:
Say i do some online gaming, all via PC, and games like Left For Dead 2 and Modern Warfare 2, even QuakeLive.....  Works out to show around 285mb of up/down traffic in an overall 3 hour period...  This is pure gaming, no extra downloads.
We are unable to watch HD iPlayer on the Sony PS3, as the Happy Shopper router provided by PN doesnt like streaming over Wifi, so she watches eastenders in Standard video for 30 mins, and Peter Andre  Lips_are_sealed on the STV player in std video, which equates to about 60 mins or so usage (60 mins or so, cos each time u get the annoying buffer, time adds on!).. whilst looking at FleBay at same time.....
Average total for night (6pm to 12) = 780mb i think......
Good luck with getting your issue sorted.