cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre and using non PN routers/BT modems

whufcnutt121

Fibre and using non PN routers/BT modems

Ok. Here goes. I've just moved over to PlusNet Fibre. Hooray! But there is a downside. The equipment.
My question is, can anyone suggest a single router/modem to replace the BT modem and Netgear WNR1000 that are supplied? I hate the separate boxes for one thing and don't have room to accommodate both machines along with my NAS drive in the necessary location. Secondly, and more importantly, the range on the wifi on the Netgear is worse than my old Netgear DG834GT.
Thanks.
Undecided
10 REPLIES 10
itsme
Grafter

Re: Fibre and using non PN routers/BT modems

phil4
Grafter

A few things I notice in your post:
1 " for one thing and don't have room to accommodate both machines along with my NAS drive in the necessary location." - You don't need to put them all in once place, far from it.  The Modem can go anywhere up to 30m from the main socket.  The Router can go a further 30m from that too!, and your NAS, well, heck with use of switches that could be on the other side of the planet if you wanted.
To give you some idea.  My master socket is in the corner of the house in an upstairs bedroom.  I chose to have the modem above that.  Then a 30m CAT5 cable runs into my study, where the router is located.  My other kit is there too, but it doesn't need to be.
AxeMurderer
Grafter

At the moment there are simply very few choices if you want an integrated fibre modem and router. I am going to wait a bit until the market and products mature but I expect I will buy such a thing at some point. Although there is a very real risk that the market will go the same way as ADSL giving us a huge choice of not-very-good/feature-poor routers at lowish prices and (still) almost no good/well-featured kit at any price.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi whufcnutt121,
With the fibre product you must use the supplied modem.
Jojo Smiley
itsme
Grafter

Why?
AxeMurderer
Grafter

Because every time someone uses a non-BT fibre modem, the chairman of BT punches a kitten.
or...
BT won't sell other ISPs a self-install FTTC package yet, probably because they think they will get a lot of support problems as a result. Plusnet want you to keep BT onside.
I can never remember which is correct.
phil4
Grafter

I reckon its simply because of support.  Neither PN nor BT will support it if you use your own modem.
If it works out of the box.... great, but if you ever have -any- problem PN and BT won't go near it with a barge pole.
A bit like adding a turbo to your car, and then trying to claim the work on the manufacturer warranty when it goes boom.... no chance.
As such PN can't "condone" the use of the other modems, though they probably can't tell if you use your own.
So all depends how tech savvy/brave/gutsy you feel.  But the official line for a while will always be "you must use the supplied modem".  Flout that at your own risk.
itsme
Grafter

If that's the case I want BT to supply all my telephony and broadband equipment free of charge.  Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Guys,
Basically, with fibre, BT have set the demarcation point as the modem rather than the master socket. And considering this is provided as part of the service as well as the fact they will replace any faulty ones throughout the length of service and faults will also be easier to fix and identify if any problems arise.
Jojo Smiley
whufcnutt121

Thanks itsme and Phil4. I had previously looked at Fritzbox and Drayteks (I had used some of the latter in my day to day work setting up VPNs in the past and was keen on their range and stability).
I agree and think this has mainly limited options at the moment due to competition/supply reasons as well as the support issues. Call me fussy, but I just like to be tidy and hate having two boxes when one should be able to do the trick. I will persist with the mess for the time being, provided my son doesn't complain too much about his bedroom being an expanding data-centre; though long term it will all go in the loft.
Grin
Oh, and thanks Jojo for the formal response; despite the X-Files inspired response it has provoked earlier. Cheesy