cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Upload slow from PC

markcain

Fibre Upload slow from PC

Hi everyone,
Been a plusnet customer for a few years now and I am experiencing some issue with the upload speed from my new PC.
I am on the Fibre Extra package with the £5 a month pro add on.
I have my new PC hardwired into my Asus RT-N56U router and when I run a speedtest I am getting download speeds of 63 to 64 Mbps.
The upload speed from my PC is 0.4Mbps - slower than I would expect from ADSL!
I have run speedtest on my iPad and iPhone and the upload speed shows anything ftom 17 to 20 Mbps, which Plusnet have confirmed that is what I should be getting from my PC.
I have tried de-activating my AVG virus protection and firewall, and the firewall on the router and running speedtest again - same results.
Something on my PC is throttling my upload speed - has anyone any suggestions to what it may be?
Many thanks!
Mark  Tongue
5 REPLIES 5
markcain

Re: Fibre Upload slow from PC

UPDATE
I have disconnected from the wired connection and connected to the router wireless
Gues what? My upload jumps to about 16Mbps.... Something wrong with network adapter
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Assuming you're running Windows...
You could try booting a Live Linux CD ( such as Ubuntu ) and see what results that gives. It should confirm whether its the hardware or Windows drivers/configuration causing the slow upload.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

EDIT: beaten to it by MisterW...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
markcain

Thanks guys,
I got to the bottom of it. I figured that if my iPad and iPhone were working all ok, and the PC was working ok wirelessly - the upload rate of the gigabit ethernet must have been throttled.
I read the following:
http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1920&bih=956&sclient=psy-ab&q=asus+p8z77-v+gigabit+ethernet...
and deleted the Network iControl that Asus conveniently installed on my PC as part of their AI Suite.
That fixed it! Uploads now back to normal on wired connection.
Thanks for your help!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Why manufacturers think they need to include this 'added value' stuff really is beyond me, glad you got it sorted Smiley
And a belated welcome to the forums Cheesy
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'