cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Router

apjashley1
Grafter

Fibre Router

If BT fit their fibre modem, couldn't you use just any old router (e.g. Apple AirPort) with it?
2 REPLIES 2
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Fibre Router

Pretty much any router with an ethernet WAN port (normally sold as 'Cable routers') and PPPoE authentication should work though there are a few (mainly older) models that can't actually handle full FTTC speeds between the LAN and WAN ports.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
DavidKeaney

Re: Fibre Router

I've just had fibre installed. Plusnet mucked up my order and didn't deliver a router so I have used an Apple Airport Extreme 11N that I had been under utilising as a Ethernet switch instead. It is happily connected to the modem the BT engineer installed on Monday and spreading 75mb/s around my network. I just went through the Airport Utility application on my PC, set it to PPPoE and filled in the account (username@plusdsl.netdetails) and password details and it was all working sweetly. My old plusnet modem/router (with DHCP disabled) is now filling the role of the Ethernet Switch.
I have used Airport Expresses in the past (I had three set up as AirPlay speakers before I replaced them with a Sonos system) and can't see why you would not be able to use it as your router/wireless access point. The only disadvantage as far as I can see is that you will only have one Ethernet port.
Hope this helps,
Twitter @davidkeaney