Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Router/BT modem problem?

Lolaan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Fibre Router/BT modem problem?

When I came home tonight, the broadband and internet lights were flashing continuously on the router, and on the BT modem Lan1 was flashing as well, non stop.
On the Plusnet booklet, it says that it's because of data transferring. What kind of data? I did turn off my mobile phones and, until I connected now wirelessly with my netbook, there was nothing on, that would justify a data transfer to anything.
It is still flashing continuously and very fast.
Is there a problem with the modem and/or the router?
9 REPLIES 9
pwatson
Rising Star

Re: Fibre Router/BT modem problem?

It's probably nothing to worry about but...
Check on your router that there aren't any unexpected 'guests' that are connected to your Wifi.
Also, check your router for the amount of traffic transmitted and received to see whether it's inbound or outband traffic that responsible for the LAN activity.
Lolaan
Rising Star

Also, check your router for the amount of traffic transmitted and received to see whether it's inbound or outband traffic that responsible for the LAN activity.

How do you go about finding this?
What I did find is some red exclamation marks next to the firewall activities in the logs for today.
Dec 20 19:50:00 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 2): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 219.158.25.54 Dst ip: 87.115.89.65 Type: Time Exceeded Code: Time to Live exceeded in Transit (I have 10 entries like that for today.)
I don't know what that means.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Lolaan,
I've looked at your connection and everything appears fine from our-side. The lights flashing tends to be data transferring, this can happen even when you're not connected to the router as it needs to send and receive signals to keep the connection alive.
It doesn't seem anything to worry about.
Chris
Lolaan
Rising Star

Thanks Chris, I'm glad it's nothing serious. It doesn't stop flashing rapidly, and non stop, and the router is very hot, that also was worrying me, but if it's part of the normal running, that's fine by me. Smiley
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No worries, routers & modems will give off heat, just make sure they are well ventilated and have space to breathe, don't keep anything on top of them either.
If they ever get hot to the point you can't touch them then it's something we should probably look into.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re the running hot - just make sure it's well ventilated (not above a radiator) and out of direct sunlight! I've seen suggestions that wall mounting using the slots on the back is beneficial.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Lolaan
Rising Star

don't keep anything on top of them either.

The router is on top of the BT modem, the BT engineer put them that way. I have never touched them since they were installed (except for dusting, of course). The underside of the router is red hot, I can hardly keep my hand on it.
Now I have placed the router in a near vertical position, and it feels less hot. Shouldn't they be put on top of each other then? If so, why the BT engineer has placed them like that?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Because he's an idiot?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Estragon
Rising Star

Was he BT.  (Or perhaps a recent recruit).  Or a Kelly/Quinn guy?