cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Profile - 40/10 where it should be 80/20

ankle0lock

Re: Fibre Profile - 40/10 where it should be 80/20

Further to my reply @9 above, I have now found my welcome email that I received when I ordered the fibre broadband service online on 4/1/13. It categorically states that my broadband speed will be set up at a maximum of 40 Mbps as below. Didn't noticed at the time otherwise would have called CS to get clarification before installation and probably cancelled given that you were only going to provide a theoretical maximum of only half the advertised speed I would be paying for. This is notwithstanding the fact that BT Broadband Availability Checker confirms my line should download at a rate of 67Mbps.
Your Order
Broadband Product:
Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
18 month contract
(Unlimited usage allowance)
Estimated Broadband Speed:
40 Mbps
(Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit)

In fact I only realised this was most likely the problem after a came across a similar issue on another forum after doing some further research (link posted below - reference user "Bright"). At first Plus Net CS tried to convince him that he was on the 80/20 service but after further coercing by Bright, and further investigations by CS, they agreed that they ordered the wrong product from BTOR.
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/4200139-fttc-activated-but-provisioned-on-the-wrong-product...
And I quote:
"Rang PlusNet support who spent quite a while trying to convince me it was either the 10 day settling period or that my line wasn't capable of anything higher. I pointed out that 40 down 10 up sounded suspiciously like the Fibre Essentials package, rather than the 80/20 Unlimited one I had signed up to, but was assured I was definitely on the 80/20 service. Anyway, persistence paid off ... he eventually went away to investigate and found that, yes, they had ordered the wrong product from BTOR and I was indeed on the 40/10 product. It was their fault and they would request a change"
"How can PlusNet order the wrong service from BTOR? I signed up online and ordered the 80/20 Unlimited fibre product from PlusNet. Surely they don't have people printing out the orders in a back room and re-typing the details into the BTOR order system? I just checked the (automated) order confirmation I received by email from PlusNet and it does indeed say "Estimated Broadband Speed: 40 Mbps" so it seems their computerised order systems screwed up. Which makes me wonder if there are lots of other customers getting half the speed they are paying for, who either haven't noticed or have been successfully fobbed off by tech support." I am wondering the same thing.
Please Note how his "Estimate Broadband Speed" was quoted as only "40 Mbps" on his welcome email - the same speed as quoted on mine.
Please can you reinvestigate further as I am not particularly pleased at getting theoretical download rates of only up to 40 Mbps.
tgheretford
Grafter

Quote from: ankle0lock
And I quote:
"Rang PlusNet support who spent quite a while trying to convince me it was either the 10 day settling period or that my line wasn't capable of anything higher. I pointed out that 40 down 10 up sounded suspiciously like the Fibre Essentials package, rather than the 80/20 Unlimited one I had signed up to, but was assured I was definitely on the 80/20 service. Anyway, persistence paid off ... he eventually went away to investigate and found that, yes, they had ordered the wrong product from BTOR and I was indeed on the 40/10 product. It was their fault and they would request a change"
"How can PlusNet order the wrong service from BTOR? I signed up online and ordered the 80/20 Unlimited fibre product from PlusNet. Surely they don't have people printing out the orders in a back room and re-typing the details into the BTOR order system? I just checked the (automated) order confirmation I received by email from PlusNet and it does indeed say "Estimated Broadband Speed: 40 Mbps" so it seems their computerised order systems screwed up. Which makes me wonder if there are lots of other customers getting half the speed they are paying for, who either haven't noticed or have been successfully fobbed off by tech support." I am wondering the same thing.
Please Note how his "Estimate Broadband Speed" was quoted as only "40 Mbps" on his welcome email - the same speed as quoted on mine.
Please can you reinvestigate further as I am not particularly pleased at getting theoretical download rates of only up to 40 Mbps.

Considering how many threads I have seen on here in the last few days (alas not on the first page anymore) of people whom have discovered themselves on a 40/10 profile, including myself, I suggest this isn't a one off or a few individuals. Unfortunately this sort of thing just starts off suspicion and theories as to why people paying for 80/20 are only getting 40/10. It's why I ask and hope that everyone affected by this error, including those who still may not realise something is wrong and including myself in that, will have their profiles corrected.
Khrusky

The guy who replied to me did say it was a known issue
Quote from: Bob
Hi there,
Sorry about this. It's part of a known problem that's since been fixed (ref: 74168). A number of automated orders were incorrectly placed on 40/10 rather than 80/20. I'll get an order placed now to correct this. It should complete tomorrow at some point ...

There's nothing suspicious about it; sometimes things go wrong.

Just wanted to say that's everything is completely sorted for me now, and thanks to the plusnet staff for fixing it promptly  Smiley
jeeves555

Quote from: jeeves555
Hi there, sorry to hijack this existing thread but I have the same problem I think! I did put a support question in (number 65321884) on Saturday but I think it'll be quicker to get a reply here.
Thanks

Did anyone at Plusnet see my message? Cry Also, glad it was fixed for you Khrusky.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: ankle0lock
I'm getting this from my account speed estimates. According to the below records taken from my account this morning the max speed theoretical speed I can obtain is 40Mb of which I actually get 36Mb when I run a connected speed test via Ethernet cable.

Having just looked at your account I reckon this should be sorted now. Let me know if that's not the case. I've bounced your open ticket back to you.
Quote from: snailspace171
How can I check if I have been placed on the correct one?

I don't think you have, however looking at your account it would appear that Adam has already placed an order to have this corrected. It should complete at some point tomorrow.
Quote from: tgheretford
Don't wish to also be that person to hijack a thread too, but rather than create another new one, I too would also like to confirm that I have also been placed on 40/10 instead of 80/20.

I've placed an order to correct this. Again, it should complete tomorrow at some point.
Quote from: jeeves555
Did anyone at Plusnet see my message? Cry Also, glad it was fixed for you Khrusky.

I've fixed yours too and bounced your open support ticket back to you. Please be mindful that your speed estimate isn't much above 40Mbps anyway though.
Quote from: tgheretford
Considering how many threads I have seen on here in the last few days (alas not on the first page anymore) of people whom have discovered themselves on a 40/10 profile, including myself, I suggest this isn't a one off or a few individuals.

No it isn't. As mentioned here, it's a known problem that has since been fixed. It's not the product of human error. On the contrary, the manually placed orders have all been done correctly. It's the automated ones that were submitted incorrectly. Stands to reason that there are going to be a number of in-flight orders that we need to wait to complete before correcting. We are doing these pro-actively however it can take a few days for us to pick them up.
If anybody else suspects they have been provisioned on the wrong product then please allow a week for us to correct it before raising a ticket or reporting it here. Thanks.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

tgheretford
Grafter

Thanks Bob for getting the order through and the clarification of what happened. Hopefully before too long, all will be rectified for those whom got hit by the error through the automated process.
jeeves555

Hi Bob, thanks for doing this for me - now getting 53Mbps down and 8.7Mbps up! Quite an improvement on the estimate... Smiley