Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Optic Download Speeds

sine220
Dabbler

Fibre Optic Download Speeds

Hi,
I've had fibre optic installed for about a week.
I get approximately 20meg ....... i dunno if this is good or if its what i should be getting but it is better than the 2meg i was getting previously.
despite this......when it comes to downloading a file the speeds are still really slow?!
for example, when i was downloading the java plugin to do the speedtest it took approx 12 mins to download 67mb?!? is this right? Undecided
another example would be torrent files......regardless of the popularity of the files the download speeds max out at about 120kb/s....on regular broadband i would get 330kb/s......
If i stream HD content on my xbox i do notice that the new fibre optic allows me to do this where i couldnt before.....so i benefit from this
Can anyone advise why downloads are so slow? is it something i can do or is the fibre being limited? would i get better download speeds overnight?
I'm enjoying the new broadband but if my download speeds are gonna be really sluggish i wont benefit much from it.
any explanation / assistance appreciated.
thanks
2 REPLIES 2
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Fibre Optic Download Speeds

I've run a few checks for you and can't see any obvious issues, I'd advise raising a fault: https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Fibre Optic Download Speeds

It's also worth making sure you are aware of the traffic management that's applied on your account: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.