cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre - Normal Upload Speed, Unusable Download...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Fibre - Normal Upload Speed, Unusable Download...

My thoughts too Jelv, but it's got to be worth a look at.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

My thoughts were the same and I wasn't sure why it might have changed since the last time they were used.
The only other silly thing I can think off at the moment is whether you are using a different Ethernet cable with the 582n, and if it's a common one being used just for the other two it may have gone faulty, just a long shot.
scooter1556
Dabbler

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I will have a play a little later on. Are there any recommended MTU settings? Or a way of finding out what the Technicolor router is currently set at? I was thinking about cloning the MAC address of the Plusnet router to see if that made any difference but I honestly don't think it will. It's a real head scratcher. I can't understand for the life of me why the TP-Link router and dialling-up from the laptop was working previously and not now. I don't give up easily though so I'm sure I will get to the bottom of it  Smiley
I also wish I could see what speeds the BT modem is syncing at but the ECI modems look like a right pain to 'unlock'. I don't see why they lock them down to the point of not being able to see SNR and sync speeds which are fundamental to noticing issues with the line.
Anotherone
Champion

Well at least 3 of us are head scratching. Technicolor MTU should be default 1500 1492. So as long as all other devices connected aren't greater, should be OK. MAC address, hmm hadn't thought of that, but still don't understand why it worked before and not now.
The quick easy way to see what you are syncing at is to log in to the Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session, wait 30 seconds then click Connect. This should ensure the relevant servers are updated with the current sync speeds.
As you've now got some speed it shouldn't time out - run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test. Do a Copy and Paste of the results if you want to post here (no need to grab an image).
The Downstream BT IP Profile x1.033 = Sync speed on FTTC. HTH.
Edit: Fix glaring MTU mistake - it's PPPoE
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Technicolor MTU should be default 1500

I was thinking it would be 1492, since its pppoe.
I was thinking about cloning the MAC address of the Plusnet router to see if that made any difference but I honestly don't think it will.
Can't see how that would have any effect, but you never know.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Damn, you are right, of course it is 1492 - I'm glad someone is awake today - post edited so there's no-one else get's it wrong  Embarrassed
scooter1556
Dabbler

BTw Speed Test comes back with these results on the Plusnet router, I can't even load the page using the TP-Link router or dialling-up from my laptop...
Download speed achieved during the test was - 60 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 16 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps
I just tried again changing the MTU value from 1480 (default) to 1492 on the TP-Link router with no change. Something must have changed from when the internet was installed on the 10th to now. Nothing has changed on my laptop and I am using the same DSL configuration I used when I successfully connected to the modem and was getting 72Mb down on speed tests. I have tested 2 laptops, one Windows and one Ubuntu and both produce the same 'slow download, normal upload' result. The ethernet cable going from the modem-router is remaining the same at all times, simply being disconnected from one device and plugged into the other. I am at a loss... I would think it was a faulty TP-Link router if it wasn't for the fact that doing dialling-up from my laptop direct produces the same result.
scooter1556
Dabbler

Are there any other specific settings I should be entering on the TP-Link router which I may be forgetting. Currently I just have it set to PPPoE, Connect on-demand with a time of '0' which means 'always connected'. I have manually set the MTU to 1492 but everything else is standard. Do DNS servers need to be set manually?
Anotherone
Champion

No, IP address, DNS both set to Automatic should work.
scooter1556
Dabbler

I just tried cloning the WAN MAC address of the Plusnet router on my dd-wrt TP-Link router and believe it or not all is well! The minute I disable MAC cloning and do a PPPoE reconnect the issue reoccurs. Seems a bit fishy to me but glad to have my router up and running again.
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm, I wonder if this stupid BT Modem has an arp cache that has limited capacity and a very long timeout or something along those lines?
scooter1556
Dabbler

I would have thought the cache would be wiped when power cycled? I have 2 ECI BT modems now as the engineer left a spare so maybe I will hook the one which has not been used for a few days up and see what happens.
Anotherone
Champion

Oh, careful it might upset DLM and get you banded - if your sync speed was still OK with the older one - as indicated by the BT IP Profile from the BTw Diagnostic test, you may have no problems. Drop the PPP session first, power down/disconnect the Router. Power down the Modem, stay off for an hour. Power up the Modem wait for sync and all lights to stabilise, power up Router, login and click Connect.
That method should minimise risk of upsetting DLM, but no guarantees.
scooter1556
Dabbler

Will do, thanks for the info. The modem has been reset quite frequently recently what with the issues I have been having and the line speed seems to have stayed at 78Mb so DLM has not kicked in. It's working well for now with my TP-Link router so I will probably leave it alone for the time being  Smiley It's an interesting issue I would like to investigate further sometime though...