cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Install - Potential Issues?

kingkobra
Grafter

Fibre Install - Potential Issues?

Hi. Thinking of having a fibre install when Plusnet get around to announcing new products, but I'm thinking we may have potential for issues with our phone line setup.
We don't appear to have a 'master' socket in the house. Instead, the line comes into the house, into a small thin rectangular box by the front door, then directly into what looks like a regular phone socket. This phone socket then has two or three cables coming out of it to other phone sockets in the house. One of these is in the bedroom, which then has an extension plugged into it, going into another room where the router is.
Ideally, I would like BT to fit us a master socket directly into the room upstairs where the router/computer is. and then I can completely remove all the extensions in the house, but then of course I will have the problem of not having a phone socket to plug the Sky box into.
Sorry, if its easy, but I'm not really au fait with what can and can't be done as regards phones, master sockets and extensions.
5 REPLIES 5
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Fibre Install - Potential Issues?

If your fixed internal wiring is to the correct standard (cable to spec. CW1308) then it won't matter about having fixed extension sockets as long as you connect things with a decent quality filter.
Have a look at the colour of the wires in the back of the sockets, you should have Blue/white trace on terminal 2, White/blue trace on terminal 5.
In a broadband setup no other terminals should be connected (eg. Orange/white & White/orange on 3 & 4 which should be disconnected at all sockets and the master, just gently pull the wires vertically out of the IDC terminal if present.
One other comment - plug in extension cables are a recipe for disaster for connecting filters and routers, they are not twisted pair cable and contain the bell and other wires (the terminal 3 wire is the bell wire). A filter should plug straight into a fixed socket and a modem/router straight into a filter without any plug-in extension cables.
I'm not sure if you get a home visit with a FTTC install, if you do, the engineer should replace the first socket on the BT incoming cable with a new NTE5.  Hopefully on of the PLusnet DC team can say about the home visit.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i just have had FTTC installed today , Nice mr BT OR engineer re routed my cable from my house all around to the other side  Wink and fitted me a new master socket as where it was previous was not ideal for my PC .
now i have it right at the side of my desk  Smiley
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
kingkobra
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
One other comment - plug in extension cables are a recipe for disaster for connecting filters and routers, they are not twisted pair cable and contain the bell and other wires (the terminal 3 wire is the bell wire). A filter should plug straight into a fixed socket and a modem/router straight into a filter without any plug-in extension cables.

When we first had broadband, we did use a standard telephone extension cable, and as you say the signal wasn't great. Since then, we changed to a dedicated broadband data extension cable (much thicker cable), and that seemed to fix that problem. The filter plugs into that, and the router directly into the filter.
Thinking about it again, maybe it would be possible for BT to change the existing socket all the extensions run off to be the master socket, and connect all the existing extensions to that, then run the data cable extension to the upstairs room for the modem and router.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

In view of rongtw's post, it seems you are likely to get a visit, so you could nicely ask if the engineer if he could re-route the incoming cable. to that upstairs room. Make sure you are getting the kettle on, offering Tea, Coffee, Biscuits, Cake etc.  Smiley
If it's a really nice engineer he may connect up your extension wiring via an outside junction box to the existing external cable, especially if an internal run isn't that straight forward. If not, once you have an NTE5 you can put your own internal extension wiring in. Everything inside from the NTE5 is the user's responsibility. Everything from NTE5 outwards is BT's. He might leave you some cable to do the job, if he can't do it.  Wink
You'd need to get yourself a cheap plastic IDC tool though to connect the cable to the sockets.
dusty_bin
Grafter

The master socket could be placed where the line comes in and then the famous data extension to to router, splitting off the telephone extensions at the master socket - or take the line through to the router and put the master socket there, then the extension needs to be brought back from that point.
In my case I still have an analogue modem in my computer that is next to the router and a phone where the line comes into the property.  When the BT man came we had a discussion about the various options - in the end he agreed to put the master socket at the router and then bring the line back on the second pair to the phone.  His only major concern in using the existing cabling was to make sure it was solid core (it's actually thinner than the standard stuff).  He was also a bit worried that the cable was only two pairs so there is nothing spare in case something fails.