Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Extension kit/ Incorrect profile?

ChowchillaC
Dabbler

Fibre Extension kit/ Incorrect profile?

Hello.
The BT engineer has just been out to install my openreach modem which he has done. Now, i used a standard telephone extension cable with an RJ11 adapter on the end when i was on ADSL to get the router upstairs. The Engineer said that it'd be ok and left it at that.
Now im slightly concerned that im getting a loss in fibre speed due to this cable. what's the difference between a fibre extender and a regular extension cable? should i ask for it to be replaced with a fibre kit. after all, i did tick the box.
Thankyou.
UPDATE
just put the openreach and router boxes next to the master socket and still getting the same connection according to the Member Center which is 37mb.
UPDATE UPDATE
BT Line check says i should be getting 60mb down and 20up. Im only connecting at 37 and an up speed of 9. i signed up for Plusnet Unlimited Fibre. am i on the wrong profile?
5 REPLIES 5
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Fibre Extension kit/ Incorrect profile?

Hi ChowchillaC,
Your fibre was not on the correct product, it was due to a issue placing orders that is now resolved.
I've placed a modify order to move your line to the correct product and you'll see the increased speeds tomorrow.
Your connection seems fine at the moment(apart from the above) so it looks like your internal wiring will be OK.
Let me know how you go.
Chris
mushy
Grafter

If you still intend to move the modem away from the master socket you should use the proper high speed data cable CW1308 rather than just a standard extension cable which the engineer should have left with you upon installation
ChowchillaC
Dabbler

i was left with no such cable.
adie:quote
mushy
Grafter

Sounds as though he didn't want to route it upstairs for you as they are suppose to fit it to the skirting or round doors etc, the one that fited our fibre brooadband wasn't keen on fitting a cable and wanted to tack it to the skirting etc but said i would route it where i wanted if he made up the cable which he duly did.
If you ticked the box for the data extension cable they should of fitted one or at least made you one up.
ChowchillaC
Dabbler

Ive just connected at 72mb (thanks Chris) although that's with the router downstairs and a rather obtrusive Cat5 cable running down the stairs. Ill try using the old ADSL extension cable tomorrow then see what the difference is.
UPDATE.
i seem to be getting the same speeds using the telephone extension which is nice. Are there any other tests i should be doing despite just looking at the up/down speeds?