cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few nooby questions

Reverend

Few nooby questions

Hello everyone,
Just had broadband for the first timeand i have a few questions if anyone could help.
1. Do I have to leave the router switched on permanently for the first 2 weeks?
2. Having trouble logging on to certain websites (ebay & facebook) just sits there with the egg timer for ages.  Is this anything to do with connection speed or something else?
Thanks in advance.  Wink
6 REPLIES 6
scootie
Grafter

Re: Few nooby questions

1. no you dont have to leave it on.
but just try not to make to many reboots of router in say a 1 hour period or the DLM (dynamic line mangment) at your exchange will think you have a line problem and drop your sync rate.
my personal opion on the 10 day training period is to give it a reboot every 2 days at midday not after dark or 1 hour before sunset or hour after sunrise. noise on your line will most likely be at its least at midday and give you a higher sync rate.
the object of the 10 day training period from an end users point of view is to try and make sure that sync rate stays high as possable as the lowest sync rate in the 10 day training is taken as the falut theshold rate by BTw and they will not do dicky about any sync faults unless its under the FTR rate Wink
2. could be a few things.
but first can you login to your router and grab this lot of line stats.
downstream and upstream, sync rates, attention, snr/noise margin, power
to log into your router try this if you have the router given out by PN
From the web interface try
http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0
or
From the routers IP address which is usually http://192.168.1.254
Broadband Connection >
DSL Connection >
Details.
Default User Name = Administrator , Password = blank.
                               or         admin                                        pass or password
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Hi, welcome to forums Smiley
1) There isn't a great need to leave it on all day - though a lot of people do leave the routers on 24/7 (I do). As you long as you don't switch it on and off many times during the day you should be ok.
2) It could be down to your training period, though equally could be related to some settings such as MTU and RWIN - have a look at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/tweak2.htm
EDIT: Asbo beat me but I wasn't wasting my typing  Grin
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Reverend

Firstly:
Here is what i get from the router at 8.20 this evening -
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3,104

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 18.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 43.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 15.0

I also got this from the bt speedtester:
Your DSL connection rate: 3104 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 2500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 91 kbps
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you report the result of this test  http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ and advise whether you are connected to the router by wireless
scootie
Grafter

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 15.0
for line atten of 43 you should be doing better than the sync you have at the mo its the above in bold which is holding your sync rate down.
can you advise on your internal wiring ie extensions, filters, phones, sky box's and if you connected to the master socket. try and be as deatiled as you can.
when was your adsl enabled and first synced?
if you want to do a quick check your self straight away before telling us what your wiring is like you can allways try pluging in to the test socket on you master socket and take a copy paste of the same stats from that setup.
the idea of this is that removing the front face plate to plug in to the test socket disconnects any extension sockets and so removes any interfrence they might be picking up and lowering your sync rate

however as you say it only a few site's your having problems with can you follow adiewoo's advise about the mtu and oldjim's also to try and sort these select few web sites out.
( should allways re read the OP's first post to remind me of what the orignal issue was ::))
so reverrend if you crack on with tweaking your mtu first to try and get those websites ticking along nicely that you have problems with at the mo  we will re vist all the above in my post about internal wiring ect later

Reverend

ASBO:  tested router again on the master socket and got the same result  -ditto for the BT speedtest.  My line was enabled last Tuesday.
oldjim:  these are the results from mybroadbandspeed - Today 19:19 2309 kbps (289kB/s) 262 kbps (32.8kB/s) and i am connected by a wireless USB adapter
I am going to take a look at the MTU and RWIN on friday and also reboot at midday as per your instructions.
Hope this info helps guys.