cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed up of this appalling yoyo broadband!

lowlatency
Grafter

Re: Fed up of this appalling yoyo broadband!

Quote from: Anotherone
where does £29pm come from

have the pro boost to 'speed up' online gaming for £5 and the static ip which is also £5, phoneline is 12.50 and bb is 5.99 + 50p for some mints. =£29
Bright
Grafter

So you're really only paying £10.99 per month for your broadband Wink
(the static IP is a one-off charge and the mints are optional, not mandatory for the full broadband experience)
But agreed, slow broadband in peak periods is very annoying and hopefully Plusnet are going to get it fixed pronto!!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@lowlatency
Is there a reason why you wouldn't be better off on Plusnet Unlimited at £9.99 pm where all traffic is Line Speed rather than Essentials + Pro add-on?
lowlatency
Grafter

oh good I was thinking a static ip was monthly charge  Grin I am on unlimited with the pro add on as per the persuasion from the telephone people as I said i was a big gamer.
Been trying to watch sky go again today on the pc and is just unbearable  with buffering anywhere  from 20secs-2mins each time, even on medium settings.
As from the previous post about me using my next door neighbours connection is illegal, then i might have to tell my best friend to stop using my car if I am not allowed to use his internet connection.
Anotherone
Champion

I can only assume you got the Unlimited on the special offer deal as it's normally £9.99.
If so, see http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml and if that's the case, then someone on the phone hadn't done their homework right for Gaming, but the Pro add-on does alter the priority for other traffic see http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml and look under Traffic prioritisation. Look at the two columns Unlimited & Pro Add-On and see if the differences are worth the £5pm to you.
Edit: It's not a problem to take off the Pro Add-on, or if you want it put back no problem either.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: lowlatency
As from the previous post about me using my next door neighbours connection is illegal, then i might have to tell my best friend to stop using my car if I am not allowed to use his internet connection.

Does you "best friend" hot wire your car, then? Shocked
I was going to add something about "consenting adults", but thought it may be miss-construed  Roll_eyes
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
lowlatency
Grafter

no why would he hot wire the car when he has a set of keys? Roll_eyes
peegee if you had my 2.8 meg connection with constant packet loss,with the simplest every day browsing being a constant  pain, always having to 'gateway hop' I think you would be moaning 'again' or wouldn't you?  Grin
I have removed the pro add on as it seemed so pointless, and yes i got it on the half price deal.

Anotherone
Champion

Ah, now I've just had a serious thought, you're on a 20CN connection aren't you? What sort of pings do you get in normal circumstances?
PeeGee
Pro

no why would he hot wire the car when he has a set of keys? Roll_eyes

I was working on "like for like" - that he did it illegally Wink
peegee if you had my 2.8 meg connection with constant packet loss,with the simplest every day browsing being a constant  pain, always having to 'gateway hop' I think you would be moaning 'again' or wouldn't you?  Grin

Ah! the heady heights of 2.8Mbps, something I used to long for, but didn't complain about Shocked (and gateway hopping would not have helped my often < 1Mbps) -- but, after being "cut off" for 5 days a few months ago, I now have 25m of new u/g cable resulting in an additional 40m to the cabinet and thence the exchange and a magnificent 3.6Mbps of reasonably consistent service (and the possibility of about 68Mbps on fibre) Cheesy Cheesy
However, I do empathise with you and the other "have less" members with speeds that are 10% of the reductions others are moaning about Roll_eyes
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
lowlatency
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
you're on a 20CN connection aren't you? What sort of pings do you get

im on 21CN And mostly get good ping results of 18-25, but at peak times and weekends the jitter can be really stupid.
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, right, in which case, see how it goes. Other than waiting for the network issues to be resolved, just Gateway hop if it affects you, can't think of anything else to suggest at the moment.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Just a piece of advice. My mum is with talktalk and their calls are a rip off to mobiles!! Her contract ends in june or we can pay 40 quid and move her to plusnet. The speeds are almost unbearable!! I took my youview box over there and the on demand kept buffering and it was totally unwatchable!! She once paid over £80 a month for 2 calls for a quid competition and with plusnet those calls would ve been almost more than half price!!
Don't switch they are a nightmare and call centres are useless and don't know what plusnet was. They thought it was a tv programme!!! Stupid indians in a cramped call centre!!
Jamie
adie:red all caps post altered as it's considered shouting, as per link:rules
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up