cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty line? Drop the speed estimate!

Devonian
Grafter

Faulty line? Drop the speed estimate!

Since upgrading the FTTC from ADSL2+, I have been plagued with slow (for fibre) speeds.
I have a BT line for work connected in my home, from the same cabinet, providing some 17meg HIGHER speeds than Plusnet.
Since BTOR visited, my line has performed fine regards page loading/streaming/gaming BUT I am still connecting far slower on Plusnet, than on BT.
My Plusnet stats on a BTHome Hub 5 are:
VDSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 6 days, 20:26:18
Downstream: 49.93 Mbps
Upstream: 11.53 Mbps

The BT connection, also on a HH5 is:
VDSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 15 days, 8:22:48
Downstream: 61.91 Mbps
Upstream: 12.02 Mbps

I thought I would have a look at the dsl checker website.
My estimates have LOWERED since the BTOR visit quite dramatically.
So, because you can't fix the fault, you lower the estimate?
Nice one BTOR.
6 REPLIES 6
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Faulty line? Drop the speed estimate!

your not the only one to see the estimate for the line drop, mine has been cut by more than half from 67Mb about three weeks ago to 29Mb I mentioned it to plusnet in this thread here  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,127369.0.html,
it wouldn't surprise me at all if BTO / BTW were cutting estimates instead of  doing anything to improve their network / cabs etc they hold all the cards and know one seems bothered or willing to do anything about it. 
Devonian
Grafter

Yea mine has been cut by almost half to.
BT already admitted the problem is probably due to Aluminium in the network... so instead of removing it, they cut the speed estimate as a big F YOU to the customer.
Although... I am still get 15meg more through my BT Fibre connection, from the same cab, down the same cable, from the same pole.
picbits
Rising Star

I've seen this happening a lot.
I've got a feeling the "estimate" is just that - a guess based on the infrastructure available and comparing it to similar areas. Once a few customers are onboard and actual figures can be obtained then the estimates are adjusted accordingly.
I've seen the ones in our area start off low, go higher then drop back again.
Devonian
Grafter

The thing is Dom,  have a Plusnet and a BT line in my home.
Both even run down the same cable.
BT Fibre is at the middle of the old estimate.
Plusnet was almost out the bottom of the old estimate.
Now, the BT speed is well up above the higher figure of the new estimate, and Plusnet is just out of the upper figure of the new estimate.
The estimate only changed AFTER BTOR was told of the differing speeds from the 2 providers down the same line from the same cabinet.
Devonian
Grafter

The lack of DCT input here speaks volumes.  Sad
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Your line estimates have changed as you've said and this has been changed by BT Openreach, this happens throughout the country and is dependent on the performance of a number of connections at the Cabinet - not something we have any control over.
I'm happy to help in any way that I can, but I'll always remain realistic. I've been keeping an eye on http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,125750.80.html thread whch is why I haven't commented on this one, it's easier if everything is kept in one place.
As it stands at the moment, (I can only comment on your Plusnet line) it's erroring which is the likely reason the sync rate hasn't increased. It's not unreasonable to expect to have two lines at the same speeds, but unfortunately, in reality this doesn't always happen - you can ask Bob about that as he had two 80/20 lines but one of them he lost around 20Mb and this never recovered. I'm not sure what else we can do other than advise you to raise a fault if you feel that we should investigate this further.