cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fastest FTTC upgrade?

jaark
Dabbler

Fastest FTTC upgrade?

I've got to say I was pretty impressed with the speed of my upgrade this morning.
Engineer called at about quarter to nine to say he was at the cabinet. He'd done the work there and was at my door before nine. He'd got the faceplate changed and new modem connected in the time it took to make us a cuppa. As I was previously connecting via PPPoE, once he'd completed the line tests, I was able to plug my network back in and was up and running without needing to reconfigure anything.  Cheesy
I'm also the first on in the cabinet, which is nice.
My only concern is that his line testing kit and the BT speed checker reckon that I should be getting about 58-60Mbps downstream, I am only seeing about 35Mbps and the plusnet site says my line speed should be about there (37Mbps). The initial line speed estimate was about 30Mbps.
Soo.. which figure is what I should be seeing .. ~30Mbps or ~60Mbps? Is it a result of pre-configuring based on the initial estimate and will I likely end up seeing closer to the 60 figure?
I am seeing about 14Mbps upstream so this sort of suggests that the ~60Mbps is achievable.
5 REPLIES 5
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Fastest FTTC upgrade?

Are you on the 40/10 or 80/20 package?
If you are on the latter then it looks like they haven't enabled the 80 bit.
I am ~200m from my cabinet and get 78Mb down.
(From the router Line Rate (Down / Up) 79987 kbps / 20000 kbps)
It also needs to test the line and the speed will vary for the next few days anyway, but you should get more than 37Mb if you are on the 80Mb package. My quote is also 60Mb down.
jaark
Dabbler

I think I'm on 80/20. I don't recall being given an option, but my upload speed rules out 40/10 anyways. I'm just a little concerned that the 35Mbps d/l is due to some 'hard' configuration based on the speed estimate. If it is something that the PN systems will 'learn' over time, I'm happy to wait Smiley
AndyH
Grafter

If you run the BT Speed Test http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and then the Further Diagnostics. Can you post your downstream/upstream IP Profiles?
Also, can you post your speed estimates from here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ ?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi jaark,
I've just made some back end changes which should resolve the issue for you. Can you restart your router? This will push the changes into effect.
jaark
Dabbler

Awesome, I am indeed now getting just a smidge under 60Mbps  Smiley

Many thanks Chris.

Quote from: AndyH
If you run the BT Speed Test http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

I had used that before (that's what I meant by BT speed checker), but thanks for the assistance.