cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast (BTW) connection but very slow internet

Wando

Fast (BTW) connection but very slow internet

A speedtest done with the BT Wholesales tester reports download speeds of 8.3 Mb which is more than acceptable, however the internet connection is abysmally slow to the point of being unusable.

This is a new problem appeared today out of the blue and nothing else in my local environment has changed.

Any speed test (and i've tried many) other than teh BTW one, report download speeds of lees than 1 Mb and that is very much in line with how I am experiencing the internet at the moment.

One router reboot has not fixed the problem. Plusnet helpdesk seem unable to help as the BTW result is OK therefore as far as they are concerned that is where their responsibility ends.

What is going on?

3 REPLIES 3
Wando

Re: Fast (BTW) connection but very slow internet

I had another chat with technical support and they acknowledged something wasn't right. Loads of errors on the line. They said they were going to do tests over the next 24 hours and get back to me.

However, I don't know what has been done, if anything, but all of a sudden my speed has just gone up to 10Mb. I have done nothing to affect this.

I am happy for the moment, but wondering how long it is going to last now.

Wando

I've spoken too early. 

This morning we are back to square one. 

Download speed of 0.2Mb upload of 1Mb (strangely uploads are not affected)

internet completely unusable.

Wando

I don't know if anyone from Plusnet is monitoring these forums, but I could really do with some help.

Based on the fact that the connection to the BTW servers appears to be OK, as my connection (to the real internet beyond the BTW server) went up to full speed around 9pm last night only to go down again by this morning, I can only imagine that my connection is being throttled at some point in the chain.

I work from home, I rely on internet access and if Plusnet cannot give it to me I will need to switch very quickly to someone who will.