Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Face time problems

rookey
Grafter

Re: Face time problems

Quote from: Kelly
I think its the peaktime problem.

It could be and I could be not Smiley wish I could face time today as the browsing seem pretty good this evening.  Have jut tried to FaceTime but nope he is out argh...
This is one thing I hope to get sorted ASAP and another thing is a question I've ask via a ticket that need attention and Kelly seem to be one of heads be cool if you can look at it with your power Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

My next scenario involves when FaceTime is being used, and what else is going on at the time.
Having looked in another thread at the daily usage that Rookey uses, that is a lot more than a bit of occasional web browsing, and also looking through previous rookey TBB graphs the broadband seems to be very busy at the times he is complaining about FaceTime.
1) -
I would be interested to know what the graph looks like if 'rookey' switches off all internet devices for a few hours, but leaves just the router on.
I'm wondering if someone else is connected to their wireless and hammering the broadband (which remember is only 20CN ADSL) and taking the bandwidth away from the FaceTime application.  Hopefully the yellow areas on the graph should mostly drop to nothing.
2) -
With the apparent broadband usage going on, I'm wondering if FaceTime is being used while somebody else is watching iPlayer or something else intensive is going on.  Having previously commented about router 'QoS' I now don't think the Plusnet router has that capability, so on this 20CN 6Mbps line, I would be worried about doing ANYTHING at the same time as using FaceTime, as time sensitive traffic can easilly get swamped (without QoS) on a relatively slow connection.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Quote from: rookey
I have thought many times of getting an apple airport but people said the router that PN provide won't work with it ???? As can't turn wifi off on the PN router?
Edited to clean up typos.

I don't know who told you about those things but they are entirely inaccurate. It is definitely possible to connect an Airport Express/Extreme to the TG582n. It may not be a simple click here & select there job but it is doable.
There were threads about this a while back in this section, albeit they were for FTTC but the router is essentially the same just with a different firmware on it.

Also on these peaks, are any of the Apple devices set to sync or back up to iCloud? That might well be a culprit for this.
That's RPM to you!!
AndyH
Grafter

I would try changing the wifi password and only using the iPad with the new password - don't use it for streaming, just web browsing and FaceTime to see how your graph looks after 1 hour or so.
rookey
Grafter

Right now all I have connected to the wifi Is the ipad I have changed the password so nothing else is connected to it now.  What normally connect to wifi is
2 x iPhones they only check for emails..
1 x ipad that gets used
1 x iMac
1 x bowers and Wilkins AirPlay but this does not access the Internet as far as I am aware
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I've taken another look at your line and I can't honestly see anything faults-wise that would be causing you a problem.
I'm going to agree with Kelly here, it looks as though you are being affected by the Peak Time Performance Issues.
I can certainly reset your line, however, I don't think it is going to make any difference to how your broadband performance.
Do you have any problems doing such things as streaming in the evenings?
rookey
Grafter

Hi
Funny enough I dont appear to have any problem watching you tube on the iPad in which the daughter use to watch kids programs and things..
If you did a reset does it effect anything on my side of things? ie downtime or anything at all.  I would like to see what this imporve upstream would do to me but £8 extra a month is not acceptable. When others on other market gets it free
rookey
Grafter

Dont know why that was high at 6 with a blue too as was in bed.
AndyH
Grafter

@ rookey
There appears to be a known issue with iOS6 and FaceTime over WiFi - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4335025?start=0&tstart=0
People with faster connections than you are getting bad quality and the poor connection message.
This might explain your problems? Could you try Skype to see how that is?
rookey
Grafter

Will look into that.
But need know why blue spike after 6 this morning when we were in bed
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If I were to reset your line, you would possibly have downtime of around 5 minutes, maximum. I don't think, given what a line reset does, it will change anything.
We could really do with a Wireshark Capture when you're using FaceTime in the evenings. Is there any possibility of getting one at all?
AndyH
Grafter

The spike could be your iMac automatically updating. It will download any updates then prompt you to install them the next time you use your Mac.
rookey
Grafter

Hi
Pls reset my line no harm in trying Smiley
Will try my best do a wireshark when FaceTime Smiley
Why this blue spike at 6am?
Let me know when you done reset pls
rookey
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
The spike could be your iMac automatically updating. It will download any updates then prompt you to install them the next time you use your Mac.

iMac was off all night Smiley so can rule that out Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I wouldn't worry too much about the blue spike, it could have been one of many different things, nothing to be worried about Smiley
Before I do this line reset, I just want to make you aware that it will put your line into a 10 day training period. If you're happy with that, I'll put that through for you.