cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC will it be 38 or 76 mb who decides?

amcclean
Rising Star

FTTC will it be 38 or 76 mb who decides?

My cab is due to go live by end Dec 2012 🙂 I see the new fibre products which i can't wait to move to. On the BT checker it states my line speed will be about 28mb which is way better than the current 5mb.
When I go to FTTC what determines the max speed / package I can opt for. Are all lines and exchanges setup to provide the 80/20 speeds or will it be the lower speed first and a second round of exchange/cab upgrades that would permit the move to 80/20. Can PN make a line 80/20 from install as long as it is fttc or fttp?

podman
8 REPLIES 8
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: FTTC will it be 38 or 76 mb who decides?

Hi podman,
The reason that your estimate is 28Mb is due to the length of your line from your local cabinet where it leaves the Fibre Optic cabling and carries the signal on via the normal Copper Telephone line. The further away you live, the less speed you are likely to get (Just as ADSL works).
**Please see Chris Parr's response below**
I hope this helps Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Chris,
It may help podman but it baffles me
From the FAQ
My line won’t support speeds above 38Mbps, can I still move to the new Extra Fibre product to take advantage of the increased usage allowance?
Yes you can, we’ll only upgrade you to the faster speeds if we think your line is capable of it. You can still benefit from the increased usage allowance though.

If the line from the CAB to the house will only support 28Mb on a 40Mb connection how can he get 66Mb on an 80Mb connection.
This certainly isn't what the triallists have reported
amcclean
Rising Star

My cab is about 250 metres away from my house by each of the only two ways in and out of my estate.

Suspect my speed issues may be with the cable the house buliders installed from the hole in the gound next to my neighbours house into my mine. I have had both e and d sides? changed in the past with no speed improvments.

I would love 28 but the 66 would be such a hardship I'm but sure i could just about cope.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Anything below 35(ish) is unlikely to see any significant improvement moving to the up to 76Mb product due to the way the technology works.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
BRABUS
Grafter

My in-laws cabinet is about 60 metres from their house and they did a BT speed thing today and it reported "downstream line speed of 57.7Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps" .
So going by this magical maths (I dont understand it either) the in-laws are having Fibre Extra installed this week, what sort of speed does it mean they could possibly get ?

EDIT: just gone back through my web history and when we did a "speed thing" about 3 weeks ago it said they could get 38Mbps. odd that it has jumped to 57.7
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If the speed estimate says around 57.7Mbps then I'd estimate they could get around 57.7Mbps on Fibre Extra Wink We have no different information to go off other than the speed estimate unfortunately.
The change from 38 to 57.7 will depend on which line checker was used, if it was ours then we had it capped at 40Mb previously as that was the highest speed we offered.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
BRABUS
Grafter

It wasn't your line checker.  Both times the BT one was used ?Huh
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

In that case I guess it'll depend when the higher speeds were offered. I'd suspect the first result was when 40Mb was the top speed and it's increased since 80Mb became available for them.