Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC vs FTTP Cabinet : Differences?

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

FTTC vs FTTP Cabinet : Differences?

Good Morning All,
My cabinet is planned to have FTTC by March 2012. A road literally 2mins away is getting FTTP in a few days (Im on LNUPK Upton Park, The other road is on LNILC Ilford Central).
Whats the difference between the two cabinets from where the fibre is fed? If its the same, cant BT replace the overhead line (Or fit another) which is fibre via a telegraph pole to give FTTP? (I dont think they would need to rip up the road for this)
I googled FTTC to FTTP, didnt get any clearcut results.
anyone know anything about this? I tried talking to openreach, told me to go away because im not the ISP and my query is a load of rubbish.
Cheers.
4 REPLIES 4
anniesboy
Rising Star

Re: FTTC vs FTTP Cabinet : Differences?

x47c
Grafter

FTTC is fibre to the local street cabinet and from there on to your house uses the normal copper cables that your phone/broadband is currently supplied on.
FTTP sometimes also called FTTH is fibre direct all the way from the exchange to your home.  So properties with FTTP will have the exisiting incoming telephone line which will now only be used for the phone and a seperate incoming fibre line which will go direct ot the modem/router unit.
As to why FTTC or FTTP is fitted is mainly due to cost.
In most areas of the UK the cable between the the steet cabinet and the home is laid directly in the ground and not in ducts.  To excavate all of this to re-lay fibre cable in ducts would be horrendously expensive.
Therefore BT will tend to do FTTP where existing ducts to buildings exist and where the population density is high so the number of properties connect per mile run of cable/fibre is high.  This essentially means urban/town/city areas.
The rest of the UK will get FTTC - though it would be quite possible at sometime in the future to upgrade the FTTC cabinets to FTTP.
The overhead lines you see are only the lines to individual properties or groups of properties which join on to the main cable feed down the street which is underground. You do not see the cable bundles of 200 or more lines in a thick cable which runs underground.  It is not feasible to string this from pole to pole, nor would it be desirable as should such a strung cable line be broken by a lorry/whatever it would take out lines in the entire area.
I have seen cost comparisons as follows
To upgrade every street cabinet in the UK to fibre to give FTTC  approx 8 billion pounds.
To take fibre direct to every home in the UK (FTTP) around 40 billion pounds.
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

x47c,
Cheers for the explaination. I found an Openreach guy to ask about this, he goes that BT are only suppling FTTP to places that can get it, and not all exchanges are going to be made FTTP.
Suppose the FTTP people are lucky then, just got to live with FTTC when it comes and wait for FTTP for a couple of decades.  Sad

Thanks for your help.
x47c
Grafter

I think you are already one of the sort of lucky one's!
I'm still waiting for ADSL2 let alone any form of fibre broadband.
There are places I know on the edge of my local exchange service area that cannot even now get any broadband at all as they are too far away from the exchange  - due to the exchange not being located in the centre of its service coverage area. This is central southern UK semi rural only 7 miles from a city  - not remote Wales
Go really rural and you find places where there is no hope of any broadband ever under current technology as they are too far from the exchange for normal broadband AND too far from the local street cabinet to get FTTC.  No commercial organisation would ever consider running FTTP all the way to their place, so their only current hope is extremely expensive satellite broadband or mobile broadband with its very low usage caps - if they can get a signal.
This all has implications for the rural economy of the UK.