Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC upload speed

clownfish
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

FTTC upload speed

Fibre installed today at about 11:30 and downloads are already very fast and the modem is connected downstream at 37Mbs
Upstream it is 2Mbs. 
Will the upstream speed increase automatically over the next few days?  Or is manual intervention required by Plus Net? 48 hours was mentioned  for seeing any speed increase but given the download increase was instant I was wondering why the upstream speed is as low as it is???
I see this when I check what Plus Net are seeing at the moment:
Estimated line speed:
    4.0Mb (This may vary between 3Mb and 5Mb) - Checked on 2012-01-16 10:00:46
Current line speed:
    37 Mb
So Plus Net has obviously not caught up yet!
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: FTTC upload speed

It won't change as Plusnet fibre is upstream limited to 2Mb
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Upstream speeds for the various products are shown in the attachment which is snipped from the Key footnotes on page http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/upload_speeds.shtml.
David
clownfish
Rising Star

OK thanks.  Is there any particular reason it is 2K?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Because it costs extra for the higher speeds (charge from BT wholesale) and Plusnet haven't sorted it out yet
KevinG
Rising Star

Quote from: clownfish
I see this when I check what Plus Net are seeing at the moment:
Estimated line speed:
    4.0Mb (This may vary between 3Mb and 5Mb) - Checked on 2012-01-16 10:00:46
Current line speed:
    37 Mb
So Plus Net has obviously not caught up yet!

The "Estimated line speed" is for ADSL, not FTTC, so that will not change.
I think this thread illustrates again that, whilst we (mostly) all know that Plusnet FTTC is limited to 2Mbps upload, this is very well hidden on the website.
clownfish
Rising Star

Quote from: Oldjim
.......and Plusnet haven't sorted it out yet

Are they intending to?
And yes in reply to KevinG I also think the 2Mb speed is rather too well hidden.
Another question springs to mind.  On ADSL if the list speed was set to say 448K I would usually get about 338K or something.  It seems typical on that service that you never get the maximum speed of the line.  If the same is true for fibre but the 2Mb is an artificial limit then in order to ensure customers do actually get 2Mb would setting the limit to 2.5Mb or similar achieve that?
If so I presume it would cost Plusnet more but a lot more????
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The limit is a BT openreach or wholesale limit - not sure which - and there are only 2 options 2Mb or 10Mb and there is a conversion cost (back or forth) plus an extra monthly cost which, last time I checked, was £1 per month
WWWombat
Grafter

As ever on something related to DSL, you get a 2Mbps limit on the line, but that value includes overheads too - so any data that you get in the "user data" part of this will always be lower.
Openreach set the limits, and set the name too. They could choose a different way of naming it if they wished, but I guess that is part of the marketing game vs cable.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
clownfish
Rising Star

Quote from: Oldjim
The limit is a BT openreach or wholesale limit - not sure which - and there are only 2 options 2Mb or 10Mb and there is a conversion cost (back or forth).......

OK thanks.
So do we know if Plusnet are ever going to go for the 10Mb?
clownfish
Rising Star

Quote from: WWWombat
As ever on something related to DSL, you get a 2Mbps limit on the line, but that value includes overheads too - so any data that you get in the "user data" part of this will always be lower.

I just did a speed test and got 1.91 Mb up and 36 Mb down so that seems pretty good to me given what you say above.
x47c
Grafter

Bt & Plusnet were not born yesterday.
So I expect they will be well aware of a minority who will want an increased upload speed - whether that be 10Mbps or maybe more in the future - particularly businesses.
...and they will want you to pay for it.
So as a wild guess and as Plusnet usually do a product/allowance refresh in the spring I'd say wait for this and look for a 10Mbps upload appearing for an extra charge.
WWWombat
Grafter

As part of an announcement of packages for FTTP, Plusnet announced variants that allowed 2 and 10Mbps upload variants on the 40Mbps packages. In the wording of the announcement, they compared those to the existing FTTC packages - so lots of people thought it meant that they could now get 10Mbps on FTTC.
Unfortunately, this wasn't quite true, yet. Bob has put some information in a thread expanding this, linked here. It shows that there has been intent to supply 10Mbps, that some of the systems are in place, and some are being tested, but it isn't a commercial product yet. And that the availability of 80/20 products may get in the way of offering a 10Mbps upload.
It still seems to be a case of "watch this space" for PN to get their technical, billing, and commercial bods to bang their heads together. I'm sure it never used to be quite this complicated...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.