Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC two lines Attainable Rates

GoochyMeUK
Dabbler

FTTC two lines Attainable Rates

Hi,
The company I work for have been providing me with PlusNet Business broadband for a number of years so I thought I would move my residential line over to PlusNet (I used to be a SKY FTTC customer) before I leave the company I work for.
Since moving to PlusNet my upload speed is very slow and I am being told that is the best my line will handle even know I was getting faster speeds with SKY.
I have noticed that by plugging in a Cisco vDSL modem into each lines the Noise Margins and Attainable Rate are both different by quite a lot.
The residential line is showing
Noise Margin:            5.9 dB                  6.0 dB
Attainable Rate:        49163 kbits/s            6853 kbits/s

Where the Business line is showing
Noise Margin:            15.8 dB                15.7 dB
Attainable Rate:        72354 kbits/s            23522 kbits/s
BT are coming back out to take another look at the residential line but I am just wondering if anyone could provide me with some advise before they come again.
BT Wholesale advise on speeds
FTTC Range A (Clean) 74.5 56 20 17.4 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 65.3 36.5 20 11.9 -- Available

Thanks all
James
7 REPLIES 7
GoochyMeUK
Dabbler

Re: FTTC two lines Attainable Rates

Hi,
Also I forgot to mention when BT last came out they swapped my lines around in the CAB an since then my line speed went down further but the noise stayed the same.
Any ideas on how these lines could be so different?
Cheers
James
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi GoochyMeUK,
Welcome to the forums.
Would I be correct in guessing that the business line is comparatively new?  Is the inbound line over head or under ground?  I would suspect an issue with the d-side circuit - the residential line being older might have bad joints.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

GoochyMeUK
Dabbler

Hi Townman,
I have had the business line for about 3 years (1 year on FTTC) and will be losing the line soon due to change of job.
The BT engineer who came last time could not explain why the lines are so different as they run out of the premise the same way to the CAB but changed them over in the CAB to see if it would make any difference which it has not (actually the speed has got lower) so BT are going to switch the lines back over on Tuesday.
Would making this change prove or disprove the D side of the line?
The lines are overhead. When BT come on Tuesday to look at this again is their any advise I should be providing them?
Cheers
James
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi James,
Just so I'm clear, when you said BT swapped the line at the cabinet, did you mean that the business line from the house to the cabinet was swapped with the same for the residential service?
You said that the residential service was worse.  Was the business service improved?  If there was improvement on the business service, then that line us a better line.
Are both lines using the same type / model / firmware version?  Have both NTE 5 sic jets got the same VDSL filters?
Ask the BTOR engineer if the residential service is on the same card as the business service.
I know with ADSL services, residential and business services are provided on different contention ratios - I do not know if the same applies to FTTC, nor if it dies, it has any bearing on your issue.
Deeper technical help will need to wait for DCT assistance.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

GoochyMeUK
Dabbler

Hi,
Thanks for your response
Yes the lines were swapped over (once then finished in the CAB the modems and phones were moved to the other sockets)
The business line has not changed at all and is running at full speed.
Both have the NET 5 and the same filters. Both lines are using the same type, model and firmware. I tried my own Cisco vDSL router where I got the Noise Margins from. The only config changed on the Cisco was the user name and password.
I will ask the BTOR when he gets here tomorrow to see what he can tell me.
Thanks
James
GoochyMeUK
Dabbler

Hi Townman,
I thought I would let you know what happened today.
Well BTOR came out and said he has no idea why the two lines could be so different and that I would just have to put up with the speed. He went back to the CAB to put the lines back to as they should be as after checking the lines the original residential line he advised that would be the best line to be on.
He when to the CAB and came back with good news that he found that part of the CAB which I was running off was not running to full capacity and made a few changes which should also help some other people who live around here. He did say the other engineers should have noticed it and will be reporting that back.
Well I am now happy  Smiley better speeds more what I was expecting.
Thanks for you help
James
chrcoluk
Grafter

"not running to full capacity"? weird speak, whatever it was I doubt it was turning up a knob Smiley
I think you lucky in this case that you have 2 lines so the engineer couldnt fob you off with "its within spec", as its very hard to say that when a line in the same place smashes it to bits performance wise.