Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC speed question

amcclean
Rising Star

FTTC speed question

Hi,
FTTC went live today after its first live date of June 2012  I have checked the speeds I should in theory get using dslchecker.bt.com which has the following for my line:
                        Down                Up
WBC FTTC Up to 28.1 Up to 5.8 --
Is this speed the overall speed i could expect for my line or is it the 40/20 line speed and will i in planning to take the upto 76Mb package be lucky enough to get more than these figures suggest. I am about 600m from cab.
Now just got to wait until i get paid to pay the install charge 😞
Podman
6 REPLIES 6
Bladesnet

Re: FTTC speed question

Try using an ethernet cable when completing an speedtest as you can lose speed on a wireless connection.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
Log on to the member centre and double check to see what product you are on and also check what speed you should be roughly getting.
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

600m from the cab might mean that's around the best you may get.
Before running the BT Speedtest, login to the Router and in the Internet Box click Disconnect, this drops the PPP session (not sync). Wait about 30 seconds and then click Connect. The establishment of a new PPP session should ensure the relevant servers are updated with the current sync speeds. Then run the BTw Speedtest, ignore the red pre-amble expect make sure nothing else is using the Internet, and after the first run, click Further Diagnostics, enter your phone number and run the test. The results will give you the Downstream IP profile for the line (x1.033 = sync speed on FTTC). You can check your Current Line speed (Login required) to make sure it matches the BT IP profile. On a new connection it may still be at the initial preset value of 78Mbps - that doesn't mean you'll get that!
Don't be tempted to reboot the BT Modem, especially in these first 2 days, Fibre DLM can interpret this as instability, and can be quite aggressive.
WWWombat
Grafter

Those figures are the estimate of your line's speed capability, irrespective of whether you take out a 40/10 contract or an 80/20 one.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
amcclean
Rising Star

Thanks everyone. apologies when I mentioned it going live i should have said my cabinet went live. I have still to order and was looking for info before I place my order with PN next week.
Cheers Wwwombat I was hoping that estimate was for just the 40/20 service and picking the 80/20 it might have been higher.
Sadly i live in a modern estate circa 2000 where the builders put in the cabling and BT just connect it up so my speed has always been poor. My parents live way further from their cab and on adsl they get 18 meg BT installed their entire line as with my brothers house. If were are all to get faster BB then maybe housebuilders should be made to install quality cabling when they build.
cheers,
podman
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: podman
If were are all to get faster BB then maybe housebuilders should be made to install quality cabling when they build.

Hear, hear!
As a nation, we're dependent on those people currently moving into new homes. We need them to be demanding the best internet service possible... and walking away from the developer if provision is poor.
In fact, we should all go looking at new developments, pretending we want to buy. When they tell us they haven't built it with FTTP already installed, we should walk away, leaving them to ponder a lost sale. A new form of crowd-sourcing  Grin
On the positive side, Openreach are now demanding that developers install the ducting for fibre, at least.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I'm 500 metres from my cabinet & my results are as follows, slightly below what was predicted.

I'm absolutely delighted with it & it does everything which I require, I don't waste my time playing games.