cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC slow download, fast upload

stuffit
Dabbler

FTTC slow download, fast upload

A very friendly BT engineer visited yesterday and setup my new FTTC connection. His line tests from my premises indicated I had a good line and I should get close to 72Mbps downstream and 20Mbps upstream, although it may take up to 10 days for the line to stabilise at its optimum speed.
As soon as we connected my laptop to the new router via ethernet, the engineer did a ping test to www.bbc.co.uk (~25ms) and checked iPlayer could stream ok (it could). After he left I wanted to do a speed test so I visited both speedtest.net and the BTW Performance Test site, both of which give very similar results showing my download was actually slower than I used to get on ADSL but my upload was looking really good.
BTW Performance Test
Download speed (Mbps): 9.51
Upload speed (Mbps): 15.11
Ping Latency (ms): 36.63
Now, I understand that speeds can vary wildly over the first few days as the line trains but I have done frequent speed tests over the last 24 hours or so and these figures seem to be pretty much set in stone, varying only by a few kilobits per second each time.
I'm a little concerned that my line seems to have settled on a really slow downstream and isn't training properly, even though my upload is close to its optimum and actually much faster than my downstream.
Am I being impatient and need to give it the whole 10 days to train or could there be another reason my downstream is so slow yet my upstream looks really good?

Edit: I forgot to attach the Plusnet estimated and actual connection speed as reported in the member centre.
Estimated line speed: 60Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2013-08-24 12:10:27
Current line speed: 10.1 Mb
10 REPLIES 10
All4One
Grafter

Re: FTTC slow download, fast upload

Wireless or wired?
Also, tried just connecting wired into the Openreach modem, creating connection and testing?
Edit: Sorry, read wired Smiley
I had some speed issues for first few days running at 7.7Mbps when I should be around 40-45Mbps. After 2 days, improved and shot to 46Mbps.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi.
I'd definitely recommend trying a direct connection to the modem, if it still the same I'd then get a fault raised: http://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
stuffit
Dabbler

Quote from: All4One
Wireless or wired?

Wired.
Also, tried just connecting wired into the Openreach modem, creating connection and testing?

I haven't tried that. Is it as simple as connecting my laptop to the modem via ethernet and using DHCP to get an IP, etc? Or do I need to set any particular network settings on the laptop when doing this?
I had some speed issues for first few days running at 7.7Mbps when I should be around 40-45Mbps. After 2 days, improved and shot to 46Mbps.

Ahhh, good to hear things may just take a little time to improve significantly.
Did you reboot your modem / router at all during that time?
stuffit
Dabbler

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Hi.
I'd definitely recommend trying a direct connection to the modem, if it still the same I'd then get a fault raised: http://faults.plus.net

Ok, I will try this in next few minutes and post back here. Do I need to use any particular network settings when connected directly to the modem, or will DHCP on my laptop still work?
hex
Grafter

Quote from: monksteve
Current line speed: 10.1 Mb

The plusnet profile has not updated after your fttc install and will be restricting your speed (should be set at 78 Mb for a new 80/20 install) - once that is changed you should be all set. Wink
Hopefully one of the support guys here will spot this and update it or alternatively you could give support a ring and ask them to update it.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Hi there
As pointed out our profile hadn't updated yet.
I've just given it a kick and you should be getting better speeds
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
stuffit
Dabbler

Thank you Matthew, updating the profile did the trick.
I'm now getting speeds of 71 Mbps downstream, 16 Mbps upstream, which puts a big smile on my face. Smiley
sirfox

Matthew, just sent you a DM requesting you do the same for me!
I have exactly the same issue as Monksteve (thanks Monksteve for raising this, good to know I'm not alone!).
Many thanks for your help,
Tony.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Hi Tony
I can see Aled got this sorted for you this morning
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
sirfox

Hi Matthew,
Yes, he was really helpful. Many thanks for your reply.
Have a good weekend.
Tony.