cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC installed and speed

dkat

FTTC installed and speed

Hi ,
Fiber was installed today for us and the speed is around 15 mb down / 5 mb up. This is also the spped coming up on the BT wholesale ADSL check with phone number. However when the BT engineer saw the speed he was surprised and said that we are just 500 yards from cabinet and new copper wires leading to our house , we should be expecting speed upto 30 mbps.
He said that I should check with plusnet on the speed . I know there is a 10 day testing period but will it make any difference ...
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: FTTC installed and speed

Hi there,
Sorry if the speeds are lower than expected. However having made a few checks I can see that the estimate speed for FTTC for yourself is 14mb down and 3.5mb up. Was it the engineer that mentioned the possibility of 30mb?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dkat

Yes thats correct .. Engineer said its a 40 mb at Cabinet .. so with just 500 Yards away on new copper wire.. it cant drop so much..
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm sorry to say I really don't think that's correct. I didn't want to assume so I've performed some line diagnostics which concur with the line estimate I mentioned in my last reply.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dkat

Thanks for checking this .. but when I do a speed check on the house next to ours.. I get the below
Address 10 , XXXXXXX , BILSTON, WV14 8GL on Exchange BILSTON is served by Cabinet 18
Featured Products
WBC FTTC Up to 20.6 Up to 5.6
ddress 12 , XXXXXXX , BILSTON, WV14 8GL on Exchange BILSTON is served by Cabinet 18
And our check is
WBC FTTC Up to 14.6 Up to 3.8
Can a speed drop by 5.4 mb in less than 50 meters ?
Not sure what can be done - but just curious ..
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Can a speed drop by 5.4 mb in less than 50 meters ?

It can indeed, this can be down mainly to differences in the quality of the copper section of the line and also the fact that it will be longer.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team