cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC install. Couple of questions (urgent!)

WWWombat
Grafter

Re: FTTC install. Couple of questions (urgent!)

I had a whole different answer typed out, that basically agreed with AxeMurderer. Then my connection went, and there have been 3 answers since.
As for your speed worries - they don't apply in the way you think.
Remember that it is the DSL chipset in your Billion that improved your speeds - which is a part of the modem functionality, not the router functionality. BT's modem will replace that side of things - so (yes) the Billion will be much more of "dumb" brick - and will have much less influence on the overall speed. The functionality left for the router to do (whether in the Netgear or Billion box) is more to do with managing PPPoE, and applying the firewall rules. The Billion might still be better at those parts 😉
I have a further alternative - which would be to keep the BT Modem in the lounge, and to put the Billion in the media cabinet instead of the Gb switch. The Billion would act as both switch *and* router at the same time, with a direct connection from router to Billion to Modem. However, this would only work if you only use 4 of the 5 ports on the switch at present, as the Billion only has 4 LAN ports. The downside is that moving the Billion would compromise your wireless LAN around the house - which is why AxeMurderer's idea probably has more merit.
And yes - the connection between Billion and Modem would use the Billion's "EWAN" port, as the modem expects PPPoE.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
phil4
Grafter

Quote from: tman247
I bought the Billion was because it excels at broadband. The Broadcom chip it uses almost doubled my ADSL connection speed compared to the previous router (Netgear DG834). I can't believe that the Netgear supplied by PN will be as good as the Billion, which is why I wanted to continue using the Billion for all duties.

Unfortuantely as WWWombat points out, you're not in Kansas anymore toto, and the Billion won't be doing ADSL anytime soon.  So the chip in it that excels at ADSL will be completely unused, sitting bored and neglected.
As such you should use other justification to warrant it being used instead of the Netgear, such as it's firewalling potential etc. etc. 
Not saying you're wrong as a whole, just that the ADSL bit is now completely irrelevant.
AxeMurderer
Grafter

@wwwombat: The OP likes having his wireless (the Billion) in his office rather than his lounge
@tman247:
Reasons to keep the Billion once you have got fibre even though a significant chunk of it is redundant:
1. It is a gigabit switch itself
2. It has decent wireless performance
3. You have already paid for it
But simpler/cheaper kit (an access point, or a cable router) would make more sense if you didn't have the Billion already.
tman247
Grafter

Well, that's a shame then. I suppose some newbie ignorance of the way FTTC works highlighted some holes in my plans. I think the Billion is a great ADSL modem, but as you say, with the BT VDSL modem taking over that duty, it's not going to be doing a lot other than firewalling. Great suggestions though on how to overcome the problems I face.
One last question, once the switch over to FTTC is complete, with the old copper ADSL connection be terminated, or will it still be active? What I think would be good is if I could still use ADSL through the Billion as a failover backup to FTTC. I'm sure there's a 'dual wan' option on the Billion that might do something along these lines (if I can locate everything properly!)
AxeMurderer
Grafter

You won't have an ADSL line any more. What happens is that BT squirt 40Mb at you down the same connection to your property that they used to squirt ADSL at you with. But because they squirt it at you from the nearest cabinet rather than the exchange they can make the possibly ancient copper bit between the cabinet and you go faster (by using higher frequencies).
If you want ADSL as a backup, you'll need to have (and pay for) a second line.
WWWombat
Grafter

Actually, someone on here experienced exactly the opposite - that ADSL remained present on the line when his FTTC connection broke. I've had it confirmed a different way too... but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try it out. I've had (and still having) almighty problems getting fibre in the first place...
The indications are that this is still exchange-based ADSL, and not the cabinet falling back to ADSL mode.
Plusnet Customer
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: tman247
Great suggestions though on how to overcome the problems I face.

I think that's the point here - you have a good set of options to play with now, and a better understanding of how things ought to go together.
I hope some combination works out for you...
Plusnet Customer
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: AxeMurderer
@wwwombat: The OP likes having his wireless (the Billion) in his office rather than his lounge

I know. That's why I wrote this:
The downside is that moving the Billion would compromise your wireless LAN around the house - which is why AxeMurderer's idea probably has more merit.

Wink
I suspect that there are other aspects about it that make it more appealing than the Netgear
Plusnet Customer
AxeMurderer
Grafter

Quote from: WWWombat

I know. That's why I wrote this:
The downside is that moving the Billion would compromise your wireless LAN around the house - which is why AxeMurderer's idea probably has more merit.

Wink
I suspect that there are other aspects about it that make it more appealing than the Netgear

One day I really will learn to read forum posts properly!
Actually, someone on here experienced exactly the opposite - that ADSL remained present on the line when his FTTC connection broke. I've had it confirmed a different way too... but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try it out. I've had (and still having) almighty problems getting fibre in the first place...
The indications are that this is still exchange-based ADSL, and not the cabinet falling back to ADSL mode.

Well that IS interesting. It defies all logic (to me) but is the first thing I'll try when/if my fibre modem fries itself! Like you, I don't have the courage to try it in advance.
tman247
Grafter

Well, I had the FTTC install done this morning. A very polite BT engineer turned up at about 08:45 (after ringing at about 08:20 saying he was going to disconnect my existing ADSL in the exchange). I explained the situation regarding the phone sockets and to my surprise, within about 5 minutes he'd converted the office socket to the primary, and lounge socket to slave. About 10 minutes after that the new VDSL modem was installed and working. A sync test showed it connected at the full 40Mb down, 2Mb up  Grin ;D. This means all I had to do was run a 5m CAT5 cable from the EWAN port on the Billion to the VDSL modem, reconfig the Billion for the new WAN link, and away we go. After all the concerns, I'm now totally happy with the service and the way I'm now connected. He did confirm that there's no option of using copper ADSL as a backup unless I get another line installed, so I'm hoping that won't be a problem.
Having heard that the BT modems can get hot, I've wall mounted it with decent airflow all around. It's just warm to the touch at the moment. All I need now is for the line profile to be updated, and let the 10 day learning cycle complete.
One very happy chappy!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI tman247,
The line profile is changed from our end now, so you should be seeing that now.
Jojo Smiley
tman247
Grafter

Thank you Jo. Will this take effect immediately, or will there still be some delay until things sort themselves out. My PN account settings still show an estimated line speed on 2Mb/s (actual shows 37Mb/s), but this was last updated on May17th.
WWWombat
Grafter

Well that IS interesting. It defies all logic (to me) but is the first thing I'll try when/if my fibre modem fries itself! Like you, I don't have the courage to try it in advance.

I agree - when I heard it, I wondered how the cabinet & exchange knew what the customer's modem was trying to talk to!
I had my fibre installed this morning... and the old ADSL modem was connected while the process started. I could see that - as soon as the engineer jumpered the cabinet - all ADSL signal was lost. That suggests there is nothing there to fall back to...
@tman247: Jojo's change to the "current" speed will take effect immediately. The estimate doesn't really apply any longer - I've never seen it take account of FTTC estimates anyway.
Plusnet Customer