Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC could be hacker?

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

FTTC could be hacker?

For the first time after 112 days openreach modem connected went down and come back with ip address (172.20.199.43, 172.20.199.44 and 172.20.199. 112) went connected but internet will not work because this is NOT my Plusnet Static IP Address, so I feared, it could be hacker trying to collect my pc data or openreach modem. It was down this evening after 8pm for about 35 minutes before it restored back to my own Static IP Address.
Very strange! I have spoken to tech support but found no logs on this strange ip address but asked me to screenshot it next time if it does come back again. They are going to sent me a Fibre Router from Plusnet.
Why is this? Never seen this odd ip address before on ADSL/ADSL2+ and FTTC
3 REPLIES 3
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: FTTC could be hacker?

Just guessing, but there was a big BT outage tonight, which saw a lot of people unable to authenticate properly.  Sometimes when the authentication equipment in BT or at PN is overwhelmed, you'll end up in the BT walled garden.  That IP might be what you've been allocated for the walled garden.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Thanks Kelly. I was scared at first thinking could be hacker try access my computer. But I didn't know of BT outages. Tech support found no fault.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

It's a Class B network IP address and you got it because there was a glitch somewhere that caused a number of users to lose connection - it hasn't emerged if it was a BTw or Plusnet issue.
It's the same range of IP addresses that you get if you log on with speedtest@speedtest_domain for the TAP3 test on BTw, or if you try the bt_test@startup_domain or the bt_test_user@plusdsl.net test log-ins. You have to all intents and purposes been given a WAN IP address that belongs on a LAN, and therefore cannot access the external internet.
(Kelly beat me to it, but essentially that's what happened)