Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC available or not?

hughconway
Grafter

FTTC available or not?

Hi there,
Please could someone advise me as to whether FTTC is available or not on my line?
The ADSL Checker at www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome displays the following message with regards to FTTC on my line:
Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 30th June 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 40Mbps and upstream line speed of 10Mbps.
However, the Plus.net checker says that FTTC is not yet available on my line.
Many thanks,
Hugh
14 REPLIES 14
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: FTTC available or not?

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 30th June 2012

It's not available yet and may be available on the 30th of June but that date could be pushed back. BT's dslchecker will tell you when it's available and you can place an order.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
hughconway
Grafter

Thanks Strat,
It was this bit that was confusing me:
Quote from: hughconway
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 40Mbps and upstream line speed of 10Mbps.

Thanks,
Hugh
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, we've had this one before, I think it's just an estimate of what your line should support come the time Smiley
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Personally i wish BT would give better Dates  Undecided as every one seams to ask when can i get FTTC .
BT dsl checker is poop for forever changing dates  Tongue
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
between1and16ch
Grafter

Heh! yep, I know the feeling Hugh!  - it doesn't help that BT Retail were actively promoting taking pre-orders in our village, which means that although I've placed my order with PN as soon as I knew the fttc service was available on my line (yesterday!) I get the impression that I'm going to be a very long way down the waiting list in terms of an actual install date.
I can see the Openreach guys working away on the cabinet enabling other people's services, and I know I'm going to have to wait days and days and days!  Cheesy
Wink

(I am only kidding really, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!! Just excited to finally get speeds of more than 1.2M!  Crazy )
between1and16ch
Grafter

Quote from: rongtw
Personally i wish BT would give better Dates  Undecided as every one seams to ask when can i get FTTC .
BT dsl checker is poop for forever changing dates  Tongue

Yeah it's frustrating, but to be fair to them I think they do enable the service as soon as they've finished the job. I know they've taken stick in the past for not delivering on the target dates, and I think they over estimate like crazy now to avoid that!
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

frustrating,  Crazy OH yes my exchange is enabled , but the box across from my house has yet to be connected , the box got electricity connected in nov last year !
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

My exchange is fibre enabled and has 30,000 lines to it. I can't have fibre though, because I'm connected to the exchange not a cab Sad
between1and16ch
Grafter

To be honest, I'd happily swap the situation with you! - I'd be happy with a 2.5M line speed - but fttc is the only option we have here of getting over 1.5M (and I'm lucky; many of my neighbours get 0.25 or don't get service at all) because of line length.  Geography meant that our exchange (3 miles away, 4.5 miles line length iirc) would have needed a major investment in backhaul capacity - so they've run the fibre in from the next nearest exchange! i.e. we have phones lines from exchange A and the fibre comes from exchange B.
amcclean
Rising Star

Just found bt dsl checker gives me the same false hope:
Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 30th September 2012. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 28.1Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.8Mbps.
The cheers went up around the house.
Called PN as quick as I could dial the number to discover BT are just in a time warp and it's not available yet and probably will not be until Sept 🙂
Thump back to earth with reality.
Podman 
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

On the BT Wholesale spreadsheet it says March for my exchange.
I wish Roll_eyes
The fibre cab is installed and waiting Cry
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
between1and16ch
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
My exchange is fibre enabled and has 30,000 lines to it. I can't have fibre though, because I'm connected to the exchange not a cab Sad

It may be about to change? On the rollout here people in that situation are being told that they'll be offered fttp - they said that they're aiming for 99.9% availability fibre for our exchange. This exchange probably only has about a tenth of the number of lines that yours has, though...
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Cry Cry just checked BT wholesale  Sad they changed my date Again GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR 30 June now  Cry
Ronski
Rising Star

Loads of dates were updated yesterday, ours still seems to have stayed the same. Sam Knows has an RFS date of 1-03-2012, superfast where and when states March 2012, the BT Wholesale Checker states absolutley nothing about FTTC as does the Infinity checker.
Strangely the only one that states a date and estimated speeds is the Talk Talk checker and thats probably just to get people to register an interest - that states July.
The December spreadsheet shows phase 8a for our area, and we do have loads of installed cabinets in our area http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=215548689936821040259.0004bb3b5e7a3aa9095a0 including ours, been in for well over a month now.