cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Profile

3george

FTTC Profile

I'm a new FTTC customer for a couple of months now and have been monitoring my line speed through different testers available.  In all honesty I'm generally happy with the speeds I get, but they do tend to fluctuate a little.
Reading through other threads I've seen posts regarding line profiles and just wondered if somebody from PN could check mine to ensure I'm getting the optimal performance.
Much appreciated.
David.
dick:green Image tags added.
11 REPLIES 11
lexusuk
Grafter

Re: FTTC Profile

Hi 3george,
I have checked over your account and line and the results are as follows:
Downstream sync rate: 40Mbps
Upstream sync rate: 2Mbps
BT network profile (IP profile): 38716kbps
Plusnet network profile: 40000kbps
Don't forget you can check all these values yourself by running the BT speed tester at http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ (Downstream/Upstream sync rate and IP profile) and by clicking here: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed (Plusnet network profile).
Any questions just ask. Wink
WWWombat
Grafter

With those sync speeds and profile values, you ought to be able to get a result of around 37.5Mbps from speedtest.net - so long as you don't do it at a congested or managed time.
PN removed some of the traffic management restrictions on the fibre packages (yesterday, I think), so you'd see better speeds in the evening.
However, at 15:30, that test ought to have worked better. Other things that might get in the way include use of wireless - have you been running the speedtest over WiFi, or with a wired connection?
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
3george

Retest result
3george

............forgot to mention tested on a directly connected desktop PC.
WWWombat
Grafter

That seems pretty much spot on!
Note that the Leeds server seems to be giving really fast ping values, so gets selected for a lot of tests when you don't choose the server manually. However, it has also been giving some funny results over the last couple of days.
I usually choose the Newbury server myself. For some reason, this one seem to be the most consistent over different times of day.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: Alex
Downstream sync rate: 40Mbps
Upstream sync rate: 2Mbps
BT network profile (IP profile): 38716kbps
Plusnet network profile: 40000kbps
Don't forget you can check all these values yourself by running the BT speed tester at http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ (Downstream/Upstream sync rate and IP profile) and by clicking here: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed (Plusnet network profile).

The BT speed test doesn't give sync speeds any more on WBC/WBMC lines Alex.  I don't know about 20CN as I haven't been looking out for it.
BlastWave
Grafter

37.45! I've never seen that on my line at any time of the day, and I'm currently on 29mbps. Seems like I will need to raise a ticket? BT changed the modem yesterday but the line speed now seems a little worse rather than better as I'd hoped..
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Seems like I will need to raise a ticket?

Rather than that I can see you've asked to be on the 80/20 trial so I've just put your order through, it should complete on Monday and router should with you within 3 working days.
Let me know how things go with that.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
StuartUK35
Grafter

whats the 80/20 trial ?
and as to the above, i get 35mb, depsite my profile saying the same....
lexusuk
Grafter

@StuartUK35
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102776.0.html
@Estragon
You're right.  I'll feed that back as it was extremely useful from a customer perspective especially since you cannot pull the sync rate from your BT modem directly.
Estragon
Rising Star

So I believe  Cool
Connection Status  Help
Mode VDSL2 
Traffic type PTM 
DSL synchronization status Up 
DSL up time 1463053 

Line Status
Downstream Upstream
Attainable rate (kbit/s) 58912 14417