cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Open Reach Modem - Replacement....?

lisapetewright
Grafter

FTTC Open Reach Modem - Replacement....?

FTTC Open Reach Modem
Mine has gone yellow and warped, 110% over heated and I would says it's a 99% reason why my speeds are being reduced.
Who do I have to go and get it replaced?
17 REPLIES 17
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: FTTC Open Reach Modem - Replacement....?

If the openreach modem is the first generation one then they were replaced a while back because of a known overheating issue see this link. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2012/01/27/bt-openreach-uk-replacing-faulty-fttc-superfast-broadban...
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@lisapetewright
We'd need to raise a fault to get that sorted for you.
I'm just doing that now and will reply back with a ticket ID and an update shortly.
EDIT: 80156536, mind updating that ASAP as to when you can be available for an appointment please?
The slots are Mon-Fri AM = 08:00 - 13:00 PM = 13:00 - 18:00
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
lisapetewright
Grafter

OP is bothered but my work is what pays my bills and the roof over my head, food on my table and clothes my kids and that take a priority over anything.
I don't live online, the idea of a fast product is to allow my time online too be reduced but that's yet to happen with Pusnet.
I'm not having BT in my house, the last bloke was caught steeling via CCTV. It's a nice simple case of plug in so why they need to attend...
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unfortunately the engineer needs to attend to replace the modem. This is the process we have to follow.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I always keep an eye on people in my house.  Perhaps you could ask a friend or neighbor if you are unable to be there yourself.  I expect they fired the other guy though - one less to be afraid of.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You could always buy your own VDSL modem/router and replace both the modem and the Plusnet router with a single box (e.g. a Homehub 5 which will also give you much better wireless connection).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
leader
Grafter

jelv makes a good point about getting your own modem.
If you just want like for like - both HG612 or ECI openreach  modems are less than a tenner on ebay.  Unlocked versions are more expensive.
Saves all the messing around with openreach appointments  and will just plug and play as an easy replacement.
jslane
Grafter

I agree with getting your own modem/router, but just because you've caught one OR engineer stealing, doesn't make all of them bad. Most are really helpful and wouldn't dream of stealing your stuff!
lisapetewright
Grafter

I was present when the last BT guy was here. I watched him on the CCTV then broke his jaw.
I have an Asus RT-N66U and will not lower my self to anything less, more so the Homehub.
I can buy the VDSL modem on eBay and fit my self, 1 power 1 ethernet and 1 dsl, fact an ADSL setup is almost the same.
Plusnet is a joke as i had a call trying to book the guy to come. I never once asked this and the caller was the least understanding.
My lines speeds have dropped yet again. 3G is faster
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry to hear that, however as has been previously advised the only way we can get a replacement modem to you is to book an engineer visit, and have the engineer bring it for you. If you're not willing to go ahead with that I'm not sure how best to proceed with this - if you let us know either here or on the ticket we'll see what we can do.
lisapetewright
Grafter

It fails when I raise a ticket
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

What does, sorry? The connection?
Not sure what we can add that hasn't already been discussed I'm afraid. You've advised the modem is yellow and warped and needs replacing, we've offered to do so - we just need you to let us know when we can book an engineer to do so.
dragon2611
Grafter

Engineer installed modems are property of openreach and yes it does sadly need an engineer appointment to replace it.
It should literally take them all of 2 minutes and you can stand behind them and watch them the whole time.
If it was Me i'd want it replaced ASAP as if it's getting hot enough to melt/distort the case then it's potentially a fire risk.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Good point. If the worst did happen he'd have no grounds to claim against Plusnet:

• He was aware of the risk and continued to use it

• Plusnet offered to arrange a replacement and he declined

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)