cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Install question

cspiby
Grafter

FTTC Install question

I have just purchased my first house, hurray!
On inspecting where the master socket is, it appears to be near the front of the garage shown in red.
Using internal wiring there is a phone point on the second floor, in the lounge which is shown on the attachment in blue.
I have requested a data extension kit incase it is needed.
I don't think there is power available next to the master socket in the garage, what is going to be the best solution? I am predicted 69mbit on the checker.
4 REPLIES 4
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: FTTC Install question

Is your house actually physically built yet?
Most new houses don't come with master sockets any more as not many providers need them.  Apart from FTTC. If your house isn't built yet you should be able to modify the location to suit your needs probably at an extra cost. 
Get some gel crimps and attach A+B wires to the extension socket wires this will cut off the old master socket and make the extension master.  BT would get upset if you did this especially if the engineer finds out you did this.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
cspiby
Grafter

The house was built in 1996.
I just wondered what the best choice from the engineer would be.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Firstly, where do you want the modem and router to be?  Secondly, are there spare ways in the cable between the master and the lounge point?  Thirdly, are there any other phone points in the house?
If you want the modem in the lounge, it may be possible to convert the socket there into the master and garage to be an extension.
cspiby
Grafter

I have no problem having extension the master as long as it doesn't significantly reduce the sync speed.