Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Download Speeds Dropped From 50Mbps To 8Mbps Today

Capvermell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

FTTC Download Speeds Dropped From 50Mbps To 8Mbps Today

I signed my relative up for a shiny new Plusnet Fibre Unlimited broadband connection that was installed by the BT engineer two weeks ago today on 11th February.
After the initial combined Plusnet/BT Openreach screw up that has affected many others who ordered Fibre Unlimited of a 40/10 Fibre Essentials Profile being set on the line this was rapidly rectified by Plusnet telephone support staff within 24 hours of calling them and we soon had the full 80/20 Unlimited Profile and the Downstream IP Profile finally topped out around 61Mbps before then dropping slowly to the current 52Mbps - actual speedtests have been as high as 59Mbps outside the peak evening hours of 7pm to 10pm where they were more like 20Mbps to 25Mbps.  The Upstream Profile has remained consistently at 20Mbps and never seems to drop in line with the actual speed but real upload speeds were consistently between 12Mbps and 13Mbps (even at peak times) until today.
However today is the day on which the phone service has also transferred to Plusnet from BT (Plusnet called this morning to say this had happened) and whilst it is probably a coincidence something horrible has happened to broadband speeds today.  All through this evening (Monday 25th Feb) between 7pm and 11pm the best Download speed I have been able to achive is 8Mbps even on a wired connection to the Technicolor 582n router while Upload speeds at 7Mbps or so have actually been higher than the Downstream speed but lower than usual.
I can only hope that the huge fall in speeds tonight is coincidental with the fact that the phone line moved to Plusnet today as obviously the phone line and the broadband provision should be independent but I also noticed tonight that when trying to do tests at www.speedtester.bt.com the second stage test to give the IP Profile was repeatedly being refused and I was instead being told to change the login details on the router to speedtest_speedtest_domain.  I ignored this and now two hours later the second stage of the test at www.speedtester.bt.com has run but the Download speed is a meagre 6.6Mbps out of an IP Profile of 52.96Mbps and the Upload Speed is 7.92Mbps out of a possible 20Mbps IP Profile.
I should add that the original BT forecast for this line was 37.2Mbps Downstream and 6.2Mbps Upstream but actual speeds until today have been much higher than this presumably because this is a fairly rural road so there are only about 20 houses over the 400 metres or so between here and the cabinet compared to may be 100 or more in an area with denser housing.
Either way it looks like either something drastic is wrong with the underlying Plusnet Backbone connection tonight or something strange is happening with just this exchange area.  I tried www.speedtest.net with numerous different servers tonight including the nearest one to here at Maidenhead, several in London and then also Sheffield (where Plusnet is) and they all reported the same very slow Downstream speeds in relation to both the current IP Profile of 52Mbps and previous speedtests of well over 50Mbps Off Peak and 25Mbps at peak times.
Is anyone able to shed any light on this?  The exchange involved is BT exchange code THFC.  The phone number ends in 548
26 REPLIES 26
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: FTTC Download Speeds Dropped From 50Mbps To 8Mbps Today

What speed are you getting right now?
and what gateway are you on http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Krem
Grafter

Slight hijack of the thread but I'm getting the same sluggish speeds between 6mb and 8mb today also and my exchange is WMWLN - hope it helps, more data and all Smiley

Edit: added speedtest result
Capvermell
Rising Star

Quote from: Kelly
What speed are you getting right now?

Current Speedtest from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ is Download Speed 8.39Mbps, Upload Speed 9.30Mbps, Ping latency 50.50
and what gateway are you on http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway

Current gateway is pcl-ag01 - City Lifeline House.
Capvermell
Rising Star

Quote from: Krem
Slight hijack of the thread but I'm getting the same sluggish speeds between 6mb and 8mb today also and my exchange is WMWLN - hope it helps, more data and all Smiley

No problem joining this thread.  I only started a new one as I couldn't see any thread that related specifically to poor speeds that had only been happening this evening.
Anyone else who has been having the same slow speeds tonight on fibre is more than welcome to join in.
Kelly
Hero

Will you be able to replicate a speedtest in a 15mins or so?
Kelly Dorset
Kelly
Hero

Ok, do me a couple of speedtests for the next 5, 10mins or so.
Kelly Dorset
braduk210

I was having issues with the same gateway PCL-AG01 earlier, I disconnected/reconnected my session and I am on PTW-AG02. No issues since. Apologies for hijacking thread.
Krem
Grafter

I've done a few in my area for you

Will do another in about 20-30 mins
Added not two minutes after the good speed...

*puts his foot down and does a Clarkson 'SPEED UP!'*
Capvermell
Rising Star

Quote from: Kelly
Ok, do me a couple of speedtests for the next 5, 10mins or so.

Do more BT Wholesale speed tests connected to the router?  Have you changed something now?  If not then why do more of them? They have been at the same slow speeds all evening.
I could obviously power down and restart the modem if you think the problem is with the current network I am connected to.
Kelly
Hero

I had a network admin change something as a test this evening.  Needed someone displaying the problem to test it.  Change has been put back now though.  I had someone else checking too: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,112387.msg964178.html#msg964178
Kelly Dorset
Capvermell
Rising Star

BT Wholesale Speed Test Now as follows connected to the router:-
Download 14.67 (IP Profile 52.96Mbps) Upload 8.80 (IP Profile 20Mbps)
Should I power cycle the router to see what node I am then connected to and if I then get full speed as I would expect to at this time of night?
Capvermell
Rising Star

Didn't power cycle router yet and now have speed tests as follows:-
Download:- 30.07Mbps
Upload:-  9.69Mbps
Ping Latency:-  41.88Ms
What is the reason for this node having run so slowly for most of this evening but speeds now increasing drastically (although not back to normal yet)?
Also can you comment on whether everyone with Fibre Unlimited always has a 20Mbps Upstream IP Profile all the time even though their actual Upload Speeds are only a maximum of 13.1Mbps in my case?  Surely if Downstream speeds have an IP Profile about 2% more than the maximum actual download speed this ought to also be true of Upstream IP Profiles????
Capvermell
Rising Star

Latest Speed Test still connected to the original node:-
Download:-  40.09Mbs
Upload:-          9.02Mbps
Ping Latency:-  Still high at 46.13ms
So rising all the time.
Kelly
Hero

The slow speeds aren't deliberate.  You should be seeing as close to your sync speeds as we can get you, but something odd is happening which we haven't diagnosed yet.   We are working on it though, hence the test I tried to run there.
If this is a contention problem within the BT network, that would explain why it's getting faster now, as people turn off for the evening.   I don't have any indication of that being the problem yet, beyond us seeing nothing wrong on our kit at all.  We've loads of WBC bandwidth available 😕
I can't comment on the upstream question, I don't know the answer.   I'm pretty sure I've seen faster upstream tests posted on here though?
Kelly Dorset