cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Download OK, upload very slow

LukeS
Grafter

Re: FTTC Download OK, upload very slow

2.5Mb sounds about right to me. However, it might be worth rebooting the modem and letting it re-sync. If there is cross-talk, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it has reduced the speed from 4Mb to 2.5Mb.
Quote from: MisterW
I was just looking for the downstream and upstream stats. It can usually be found under DSL information
Err, it's fibre Luke! as Stoker says, you can't get stats from the standard BT modem.

How silly of me  Embarrassed
Stoker
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I'll get a 2nd hand HG612 on eBay and unlock it to get line stats. I don't fancy risking it without a backup.
2.5mbps is still less than half  the "Range B impacted / low" estimate for my line.
LukeS
Grafter

That's true, have you re-synced?
Stoker
Rising Star

Yes.
LukeS
Grafter

I've just checked your line and noticed that banding is set to "1.3M-2.7M Upstream"
It's probably best to just leave it now and see if DLM increases the upper limit. I've never seen that profile before but I'm assuming it's been put in placed based on what it deems correct for the line.
Stoker
Rising Star

OK but forgive me for not sharing your optimism! This is the same DLM that took it down to 600k.
Happy to give it a week or so ...
AndyH
Grafter

This should be raised as a fault and pushed back to Openreach.
DLM has intervened due to errors on the line. Until the underlying cause is found and fixed, you're going to be stuck in the same situation.
The OP signed up with completely different estimates to what he's getting now, so it's fair and reasonable to raise this with BT Wholesale.
LukeS
Grafter

@AndyH It's already been raised a fault and then engineer blamed crosstalk.
@Stoker sometimes DLM does work correctly. I believe that when the speed was reduced to 600k you did have a fault. The issue was the line was not reset. The problem with DLM is that it doesn't make positive changes quickly, in some scenarios you have to wait 64 days  before the cap is increased. See the following link for more details ..
http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-what-it-is-how-it-works/
AndyH
Grafter

@ Luke - Can you post the OP's FTTC test results (like this http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=130781.0;attach=51004;image ) ? Thanks
LukeS
Grafter

Stoker
Rising Star

Quote from: LukeS
The issue was the line was not reset.

So BT lied to you in the response in my ticket (2:50pm, Monday 11 Aug 2014). Not sure I'm allowed to quote what they said here. Anyway, I'm happy to give DLM a chance ...
AndyH
Grafter

Given the circumstances, I think a remote reset is more appropriate (unless Stoker wants an engineer's visit). Openreach can do this from their DCoE.
I personally wouldn't wait for DLM - it's probably so red flagged you'll be waiting an eternity for it to get back to normal.
LukeS
Grafter

@AndyH
We've already asked them to do this and they refused. Therefore we modified the line to force the reset and that yielded some positive results.

@Stoker
FTTC engineers perform resets which for some reason never complete. It's either because they have actioned it incorrectly, or there is a problem with the software they use.
Stoker
Rising Star

Perhaps DLM is working - today my upload speed has dropped to barely 1mbps.  Cry
AndyH
Grafter

If it's been reset, DLM shouldn't intervene in the first 2 days for FTTC.