Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Download OK, upload very slow

Stoker
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: FTTC Download OK, upload very slow

Yes fine here; both speedtest.net and the BT Wholesale checker report around 1.7mbps upload. I guess I wouldn't expect to actually see 2.0mbps. I've done a few large file uploads just to stress the line. Download is the same as ever, around 27mbps.
What's the next step? Try a 3 or 4mbps upload cap, or ask BT to explain why they say my upload max is 0.6? I'd like to get back to 4 if possible, though more would be a bonus!
dick:quote
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: LukeS
Quote from: Terranova667

Hi Luke, my speed loss was due to a fault that was confirmed nothing to do with crosstalk, as for network changes nothing that I'm aware of as i said i requested a DLM reset but was told no so i assume the fix didn't require any major changes.   

The reason your speed is slow is because the sync is lower. It's nothing to do with DLM. Either the line quality has degraded or it's crosstalk. We could try and send an engineer out but BT would try to argue that this isn't a fault.

Of course the sync is lower that was partly due to the fault and partly due to the three engineer visits it took to sort it , When the fault was fixed I was told i would have to wait for DLM to raise it back up which it hasn't done yet, asi have said countless times now it's been over three months as for line quality i already said i have had tests done that showed the line was fine for it to raise back up so NO it's not because of that, Funny how everything was rock solid until i get a fault but once it's fixed and DLM does nothing crosstalk raises it head       
LukeS
Grafter

Quote from: Terranova667

Of course the sync is lower that was partly due to the fault and partly due to the three engineer visits it took to sort it , When the fault was fixed I was told i would have to wait for DLM to raise it back up which it hasn't done yet, asi have said countless times now it's been over three months as for line quality i already said i have had tests done that showed the line was fine for it to raise back up so NO it's not because of that, Funny how everything was rock solid until i get a fault but once it's fixed and DLM does nothing crosstalk raises it head       

Could you try powering down the modem and router and allowing it to re-sync?
LukeS
Grafter

Quote from: Stoker

What's the next step? Try a 3 or 4mbps upload cap, or ask BT to explain why they say my upload max is 0.6? I'd like to get back to 4 if possible, though more would be a bonus!

The only option I have is 10MB Upload. As long as it's still stable by Saturday I will make this change and see how we get on.
Stoker
Rising Star

OK thanks Luke.
Terranova667
Pro

Hi Luke i just got home from work and did what you asked and powered down the router and modem and re-synced and BT Profile is still 57Mb, I dont know if it will take a little time for DLM to do anything or this is what i'm stuck with now, either way I'm not back to my previous 65Mb. an 8Mb loss might not sound like much but to someone who could only manage 4Mb on ADSL due to exchange distance seeing that amount just go and not return is pretty saddening, I only pray BTO get off their backsides and get Vectoring out sometime this century.  Smiley 
LukeS
Grafter

@Terranova
It's resynced at 59Mb and I've changed the profile on this side to match. The increase in speed is equivalent to my full speed connection (Yes, I'm fishing for sympathy). That's probably the best you're going to get for now. 
LukeS
Grafter

@Stoker
I've placed an order to modify the upstream to 10Mb. Obviously we're aren't expecting anything too fancy but any increase would be great.
Stoker
Rising Star

Thanks - I'll report back when the change is implemented.
I've had a consistent  1.7 - 1.8mbps upload since the cap was set at 2mbps - presumably that's the best I would expect to see after overhead etc.
Terranova667
Pro

Hi Luke thanks for doing that, as you say  I guess that is the best i'm going to get for now, I shouldn't grumble to much yeah i have lost 8Mb but it could be a lot worse,  sigh.. oh well as i say hopefully Vectoring will appear sooner rather than later 
LukeS
Grafter

Hi Stoker,
Just to let you know. I've replied to the other query on the account Wink
I've tried testing your connection today but the DSL stats have not updated since the 14th 😕 It might be easier for you to post your router stats if you know how to do it? Otherwise I'll trying checking again tomorrow.
Stoker
Rising Star

Hi, I've replied to the other ticket.
Sorry - not sure what stats you mean. I see the following on the Netgear router (it's been flashed to V1.0.2.62_60.0.87) but I haven't unlocked the BT vdsl2 modem which perhaps would be more useful. I didn't think I could do anything with a locked modem.
The BT Wholesale / Advanced speed test is still showing my upload as 1.68 out of of 2mbps cap, so that hasn't changed from the latter part of last week.

LukeS
Grafter

I was just looking for the downstream and upstream stats. It can usually be found under DSL information. Don't worry about it now, it looks like the order hasn't fully gone through yet.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I was just looking for the downstream and upstream stats. It can usually be found under DSL information
Err, it's fibre Luke! as Stoker says, you can't get stats from the standard BT modem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Stoker
Rising Star

Hmm. The cap change back to 10mbps has now happened, and I get around 2.5mbps upload which is odd. I'd expected to get either the 4mbps I had before the original fault, or the 600kbps after. Not something in between. Maybe it needs some time for DLM to kick in.