Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Availability

houlton23
Grafter

FTTC Availability

Hi All,
Just a quick question regarding FTTC, does anyone know (or have experience of) how long it takes for BT to enable ordering on a freshly installed cab? I only ask as ours was installed on Tuesday but they filled the giant hole they left and tarmac-ed it over just this afternoon.
Can I expect to be able to order FTTC today, next week, next month?
Alex Smiley
14 REPLIES 14
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: FTTC Availability

It could easily be several months.  They will typically install new cabinets over the area covered by the exchange over several weeks then they have to install the fibres to the new cabinets and connect everything up, test it all etc. before cabinets ae avaiable for new fibre orders.
Keep an eye on the availability checker though as dates will likely change suddenly (maybe several times).
As soon as the checker says it's available on your line you should be able to place your order.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
houlton23
Grafter

I'd best bookmark the checker then Smiley
Thanks for the quick reply,
Alex
houlton23
Grafter

It's been a slow 5 months. Lots of unblocking ducts going on. 13 PCPs on our exchange. 11 planned for FTTC. As of now, there are 10 in the ground and 9 live. Last one planned going in 27/02/12 (Monday). Guess which one is in the ground but not live? Sad
Anyway, I came back to this thread to ask about pricing. Our Exchange (EMBREAD) is Market 2, however we don't benefit from the cheaper prices as we are on Plusnet Premium and I am told by support that only Value and Extra are eligible for the Market 3 on Market 2 pricing. My question(s) are:
1) Will I be able to get Extra Fibre for £21.49 a month when it's finally live?
2) If so, how will I be able to order FTTC at the Market 3 price? (As the product change tool still thinks we are Market 1 and offers me Extra for £17.99 or however much it is.)
Alex Smiley
centralsimon
Grafter

FTTC has just become available in my area. The timeline for our cab was :
Sep 25. BT installing the cabinet
First week of Feb. contractors for BT and uk power networks working on cab
2nd week of feb orders taken
This is of course not indicative of all installations but presuming your exchange is already enabled then the biggest delay for us was the power connection. One way to also keep a check, many local authorities use a public database of roadworks called Elgin. Check if your local authority uses it. Elgin lists all planned roadworks and any power company works near your FTTC cabinets is a good sign.
houlton23
Grafter

Quote from: centralsimon
Sep 25. BT installing the cabinet
First week of Feb. contractors for BT and uk power networks working on cab
2nd week of feb orders taken

I hope our cab follows a similar timeline, no sign of any power works yet, but some blue circles did appear on the pavement next to it a few weeks back, although not really sure what to make of them..
Quote from: centralsimon
a public database of roadworks called Elgin.

I've had an email search set up on our village for a couple months now Smiley
WWWombat
Grafter

On your market definition:
How do you know it is market 2? If it really is, then Plusnet should recognise that, and be able to offer you the value/extra packages at the lower prices. Fixing this really needs someone from PN to verify what they define the exchange to be, and to check what is correct. Hopefully someone from the DCT team will pick this up.
On the cabinet:
We went through the same thing a year earlier. The cabinets went in around September, and most of the local cabs went live in December, with the roadworks for power occurring in October-November. Ours stayed dark, apparently with power problems. It took 2 more sets of roadworks in January & February to change things around - going live at the end of March. Then we went through an ordering nightmare, only getting the install done in early June.
I think the delays inherent in getting roadworks planned & approved are key when power issues occur.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi houlton23,
As the package you're on doesn't have a market 2 component it won't allow me to place market 2 pricing. Once you change to Extra it should pick up the new pricing. If it doesn't for some reason then I'll happily make sure you're refunded any additional costs and make sure it's adjust correctly for the following month.
Jojo Smiley
houlton23
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Once you change to Extra it should pick up the new pricing.

Thanks Jojo, However if I try a neighbors phone number on the Plusnet sign up page they are offered the higher Market 1 prices instead of the lower Market 2/3 prices. Does this mean that our exchange's market needs updating in your systems?

Alex Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks Alex,
Yes, it does seem like that. I'll look into that tomorrow. Don't worry though, if you do yours I will make sure you get the Market 3 pricing.
Jojo Smiley
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: houlton23
Once you change to Extra it should pick up the new pricing.

Thanks Jojo, However if I try a neighbors phone number on the Plusnet sign up page they are offered the higher Market 1 prices instead of the lower Market 2/3 prices. Does this mean that our exchange's market needs updating in your systems?

Alex Smiley

My NOD32 Scanner is blocking ts7mq1.png in your message for some reason. Anyone else getting reports of anything dodgy at that URL?
houlton23
Grafter

@PhyllisTyne That website is hosted on shared hosting and then using a CDN to cache and serve it so it could be that your anti virus has found something dodgy on the CDN. I'm 100% certain there's nothing dodgy on my site so probably a false positive
Alex Smiley
houlton23
Grafter

Thanks Alex,
Yes, it does seem like that. I'll look into that tomorrow. Don't worry though, if you do yours I will make sure you get the Market 3 pricing.
Jojo Smiley

Did you get chance to look into changing the Market on our exchange? Fibre is now available and I'll be ordering tonight Tongue
Alex Smiley
houlton23
Grafter

Jojo,
Just ordered Extra Fibre, Do I need to wait until activation day until you can change the pricing to £21.49 instead of £27.99?
Alex Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Alex,
Yes, the product will have to be active on your account before I can change it.
Jojo Smiley