cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP issues - mainly speed.

jianikos

FTP issues - mainly speed.

Huh
I am trying to acces the FTP server (from a 2mb SDSL BT account), however it constantly drops the connection, it'll run fine for a few minutes then it'll just die and take forever before i can re-connect. More often than not I can't get a transfer speed above 5k! Do plusnet throttle / packet shape FTP traffic from outside the plusnet network?
I've tried to access from my plusnet account and it's a little better but still not really usable.
I hope someone can shed some light I'm pulling my hair out Sad
5 REPLIES 5
James
Grafter

Re: FTP issues - mainly speed.

Hiya,
You should be able to access your FTP account from outside the Plusnet network as long as you have a subscription account with us, which obviously you do.
I haven't seen any similarl complaints today, certainly not reporting those sort of speeds.
Would you mind bearing with it for a bit and let me know if it improves?
jianikos

I tried several months ago to transfer some files and had major problems then too - it seems every time I get the motivation to sort it out the connection to the FTP servers seems to be problematic.
I'll keep trying over the next day or two, and report back to this thread.
FYI
Pings are comming back at an average 36ms
Traceroute shows all the hops before plusnets network at less than 25ms but as soon as it get inside telehouse it jumps up to 35ish and one hop allways returns well over 200ms!
jianikos

I've tried several times today - but teh FTP server keeps dropping the connection Sad
Anyone got any ideas?
jianikos

I've given up - what a waste of my time this has been...
Angry
I can connect but it'll only download a few bytes at 4.5k per second. For about 10 seconds then the connection drops.
I know it's not my connection as I can download at a solid 2mb all day every day from other FTP servers. I am begining to wonder why I pay so much per month for all the added value features when the one I really need doesn't work
Huh
I'd be better off getting a free broadband account from sky or orange and paying for hosting that allows me to use FTP Wink
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

From the MOTD on the server:
Quote from: Homepages
220-PLEASE NOTE: If you have a non-subscription account you
220-will only be able to login to this ftp server if you are
220-dialled into our network.
220-
220-A Maximum of 4 concurrent connections are allowed to this
220-server, each session is limited to 256KB/s downloads.
220-
220 Plus.Net FTP Server #4 ready

TBH I'm not sure what's causing your problem but here's a few things to try:

• Try using passive mode instead of active mode to transfer files (or vice versa if you're currently using passive mode)
  • Try using ftp2.plus.net which used to be configured slightly differently on our load balancers
  • Try optimising the MTU/RWIN for your connection
  • Try a different FTP client

Let us know how you get on...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵