cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIXED:- i have my own router, but is it compatible ?

timmytoad
Grafter

FIXED:- i have my own router, but is it compatible ?

Hi all, i have just had a breather from trying to sign up to be a new PLUS NET customer, i got stuck at the Engineer Appointment page, i concluded it wasn't working correctly, i had the easy task of selecting three dates each had to be over 14 days apart, i did this dozens of times, finally i purposely put in three dates a whole month apart, still it wouldn't work !!    gggrr i shall try again for sure, BUT in the meantime i am NOT sure that i really need a Wireless Router, as i have one of my own, but it isn't in the list of known to be compatible wireless routers.
i have a TP-LINK, model  TL-WR1043ND VER 1.8
any suggestions anyone please.
if i select to have a Wireless Router from Plus Net does it come in the same case as the Modem ?
tim
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: i have my own router, but is it compatible ?.TP-LINK, model TL-WR1043ND VER 1.8

I can't see any reason why the TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND wouldn't work, although it is just a router without an ADSL modem.
If you were signing up for a Plusnet FTTC fibre connection then that router should be fine.
If you are signing up for an ADSL connection, then you will need an additional ADSL MODEM in order to connect up your router.
timmytoad
Grafter

Re: i have my own router, but is it compatible ?.TP-LINK, model TL-WR1043ND VER 1.8

cheers buddy, i would still like to know if PlusNet supply a modem only to a new customer, if a wireless router is not required ?.
tim
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it would be very unlikely for Plusnet to supply a modem only device, as there is almost no demand.
You might as well take their standard 'free' modem/router, disable the wireless, and simply connect your router to a spare ethernet port and set your TP-LINK to act as a bridge.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@ timmytoad
If you need an appointment for an installation engineer, it's almost certain that you are signing up to a FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) service. The installation engineer brings and installs the modem, and you should be able to connect your TP-LINK router using its WAN port to the modem. You'll have to enter your PlusNet username/password for the router to connect.
timmytoad
Grafter

Cheers buddy, apparently the Fibre option isn't, allegedly available in my area, i will me moving from Virgin Media and will need a new phone line if they can't make do with original BT line, that is why i have to have an engineer chappie appointment, LOL.
Tim
Adie:quote
timmytoad
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh
I think it would be very unlikely for Plusnet to supply a modem only device, as there is almost no demand.
You might as well take their standard 'free' modem/router, disable the wireless, and simply connect your router to a spare ethernet port and set your TP-LINK to act as a bridge.

Great, well done that man, i will do that, thanks
tim
Stumpy21
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: FIXED:- i have my own router, but is it compatible ?

There is the option to take a wired (non wireless) router, at sign up, and use the ethernet port on that.  Undecided
timmytoad
Grafter

Re: FIXED:- i have my own router, but is it compatible ?

Kool buddy, nice idea that buddy, it seems that officially the wireless router i have isn't suitable for ADSL !!!!.
those are the facts Sad
tim