cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIBRE CUSTOMERS READ - Bye plusnet

itsme
Grafter

Re: FIBRE CUSTOMERS READ - Bye plusnet

Because most users refer to an ADSL Router just as a router and with fibre you need a router only and not an ADSL Router.  So will you be able to use your 'router' with the VDSL modem?
ByeBye
Grafter

You can use your own router with sky fibre. It says in the pricing and sky customer service will confirm. Demarcation point must be at the VDSL BT modem.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

your queiry as to the new Sky call centre, it isnt far from PN HQ Wink Cool Roll_eyes
this was dated 18 Feb last year
Looks like Sky are set to try and shaft Plusnet:  http://skycustomercentres.com/sheffield/
Opening a support centre in Sheffield - guess where they will be trying to poach staff from?
If they succeed in recruiting a lot from Plusnet support will get a lot worse than it is now!
ByeBye
Grafter

They'll be getting the customers, but the staff too!!! lol they go too far!  Angry
Mark
Grafter

There's a few of us waiting with interest to see how sustainable Sky's "unlimited" FTTC offering is. The unit economics for UK ISP's are pretty much in the wild and every Meg of bandwidth costs money. The Sky offering will absolutely attract the heavy users and the leachers, there is no doubt. Every single similar offering by ISP's over the years has had that effect. There's not many ISP's right now offering truely unlimited, unmanaged services. I wonder how long before Sky's offering changes or until the customer experience reduces.
As has been said, intelligent traffic management exists for a reason. It ensures level customer experience and keeps congestion manageable.
I've a lot of respect for Sky and what they bring to this industry but Im also very aware of the economics of the indusrty and the impact of offerings such as this one from Sky. There's only so much loss making shareholders will take (I think Telefonica have had to deal with that element) and with the usage demands of the current average customer and the upcoming strain there will be on the entire UK infrastructure, I await developments with baited breath.
it's an interesting time to be this side of the game. Wink
Good luck with Sky ByeBye. I hope all goes well.
M
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Please tell me I am wrong.
A user with a 35Mb/sec maximising their connection will be capable of downloading
35 / 1000 / 8 x 3600 = 15.75GB per hour or 378GB per day or over 2.5TB/week
I very much doubt that the Sky network  will be able to handle much of that
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Nor would the user, where would they store all that data?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Sky must realise what they are letting themselves in for. Should be interesting.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pierre_pierre
Grafter

get a few of these  http://www.dabs.com/products/hitachi-2tb-touro-desk-pro-usb-3-0-3-5--desktop-hard-drive-7ZSR.html?ut...
Hitachi 2TB Touro Desk Pro USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop Hard Drive
Huge Capacity, SuperSpeed USB & Under £87!
Mark
Grafter

Sky must realise what they are letting themselves in for. Should be interesting.

They absolutely do Dick. It's a land grab without doubt. They're late enough to the FTTC party and they'll want swift growth. They'll certainly get that, and customer growth will improve for them from where it's been, but average revenue per user is bound to take a hit.
Good short term strategy (imho) but what's the medium to long term thinking, thats the $64k question Smiley
M
ByeBye
Grafter

Great to see Plusnet respond but guys seriously after all the bashing of unlimited and the possible pitfalls what can you actually offer existing and new customers. I had an email saying you will offer me a competitive deal that will match other offers.... Can you beat skys price and give me more data?  Smiley You say it's a land grab move but you're in the market place, compete.
ByeBye
Grafter

Quote from: Mark
Good short term strategy (imho) but what's the medium to long term thinking, thats the $64k question Smiley

Rollout and more rollout, what's your long term thinking?
jim:green quote fixed mod:end
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

None of the pitfalls of unlimited given seem much worse than the pitfalls of Plusnet's current products anyway. Slowed down by other users competing for the bandwidth or slowed down by the traffic management system.
Mark
Grafter

Hi byebye
I dont work in the customer options team and am not close enough to their current offers, however I'd be very shocked if they offer you unlimited.
What usage do you need?
We fully recognise that we wont cater for every single customer in the market. Our products are carefully designed with a very strong knowledge of customer usage levels and demands. We know what our target demographic is and it isnt the unlimited user.
We're constantly reviewing customer needs within our target market and will deliver products which suit our business model and our demographic.
We've been pretty much on the money in predicting usage and needs, since about 2004 when we introduced intelligent traffic management, and we'll continue that approach. It simply works.
Lets see what our colleagues in COT offer and i've no doubt you'll let us know how that conversation goes. Smiley
M
ByeBye
Grafter

If you're interested in hearing what the official stance is on competing with an unlimited fibre product is then i'll gladly let you know what i'm told. Using traffic shaping must reduce your costs as an ISP, is that the real reason behind it? As mentioned above, traffic congestion results in the same effect as traffic shaping.